Chapter VI

The lights are still dimmed when I wake up, the others still sleeping.

I contemplate turning around and sleeping the remaining one and a half hours, but decide against it. Choosing to try and stretch my sore muscles instead I get dressed in my new clothes. I pick the tight black shirt with short sleeves, revealing my new tattoo and the pants with mesh cutouts. I open my braids and let the curls fall over my shoulders, massaging my scalp. I forgot how much it hurts to keep tight braids.

There is barely anyone in the cafeteria. I take a croissant with chocolate spread, an apple and a bread roll with a slice of meat called salami and hot chocolate. Sitting down at the table in the corner I survey the room. Most of the Dauntless already up are older, some sending me small smiles. While sipping my hot chocolate I think about our training. We will have to fight each other soon, that much is clear. And if I have to fight anybody other than Tris, Kiera or Christina maybe, my chances aren't all that great. So I empty the cup and make my way towards the training room, stretch and recall what Eric said yesterday. Strengthen my arms and core. Do push-ups, sit-ups, planks and jog a little around the room, before taking the punching bag in the back and repeat the punches, the kicks and the combinations from yesterday. I don't hear anybody enter the room. But I feel it, feel his presence.

"Your arms are too weak."

"You said that yesterday already. Why do you think I am here?"

"Put your legs around the smaller part of the bag. Do sit-ups there, and punch it."

I raise my eyebrows but do as Eric told me, my legs now holding my body weight.

I struggle to move up and leave my shoulders on the ground after the third try, but Eric is watching. And everything goes into rankings. So I try again until I heave myself up and wrap my arms around the bag, taking a deep breath.

"Again. Hit it this time."

So I try again, my muscles straining. I grunt.

"Again."

After seven more I let myself drop onto the dusty floor, my arms by my side, clenching my teeth.

Eric actually chuckles. And I stick out my tongue at him. He holds out a hand.

With hesitation, I take it and when he pulls me up, he pulls me close. So close I feel his breath on my skin. He picks up a lock of my hair that is stuck to my forehead.

"Not too bad...for a Stiff."

"Look at you, being all nice", I smile and Eric frowns, pushing me back and then my brother enters. Judging by his face, I can imagine his lecture in my head.

"What are you doing here, initiate?"

"Getting some extra training. Or is that prohibited?"

He shakes his head, glaring at Eric, who glares back and then stomps out of the room.

"Save me the lecture. Nothing happened. He was just giving me tips."

"I told you, Eric...", my brother starts.

"He was simply here when I started training, Tobes. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not going to fight with you over this. I know what I can or can not do. And I can handle Eric."

Other initiates enter and Tris smiles at my brother. I put my hair into a high ponytail.

"Knife throwing! Yes, compared to the fancy guns from yesterday, these might seem...ineffective. But one day these tiny things might save your life."

And as usual, he demonstrates first, two times, then we are told to each grab a few knives and line up in front of the human-shaped targets and try ourselves.

I smile when the first knife I throw sticks in the target. The edge of it, but it sticks.

Tris, who stands next to me, is a natural, her knives landing right at the middle again and again.

"You go Tris!", I smile and she grins.

After a while, I get better, not as good as I got when shooting yesterday, but acceptable.

Others on the other hand do not improve at all. Like Al.

His knives still clatter to the ground. I see Eric walking towards him and stop my throwing, watching the scene unfold.

Instead of helping him, Eric insults him and wants him to collect his knives. And the knives still being thrown, don't always hit their targets the way they should and one of them would most likely hit Al. If not more. Al states that concern and something in Eric's face changes.

"Everybody, stop throwing!", he yells and turns to Al.

"Stand in front of the target. You flinch, you're out", Eric says, deadly calm. I move towards them, Tris following me.

Al does as commanded, but I can see him trembling. He is out. If Eric really does throw knives at him, he is out. To my shock, I see my brother pick up knives and take his place before Al, getting ready to throw.

"Stop!", Tris calls out, seconds before I would have stopped my brother, "anyone can stand in front of a target, it doesn't prove anything."

Eric raises his eyebrows and smirks.

"Then it should be easy for you to take his place."

And Tris moves forward. I catch her wrist.

"Are you sure? I can do it. Four won't hurt me", I whisper.

"It's fine."

I let go and she takes Al's place.

"Same rules apply!"

And my brother throws the knives, one closer than the other. Tris doesn't flinch, even when my brother nicks her ear.

"You are dismissed. Use your time wisely! After lunch, you will fight!", Eric exclaims and the initiates scramble out of the training room. Not Tris, who walks up to my brother. Not me, who collects some knives, slipping one into my boot.

With the others gone, I stand in front of the target again, throwing, getting slightly better. I once again feel his presence before I see him.

"Want to throw knives at me too?", I ask and release another one from my grip, the knife buried in the target's shoulder.

"You need to learn that orders are not optional. You learned."

I roll my eyes.

"Yes, Mr Leader, we did."

"You need to hold your shoulder still when throwing", he then says, then leaves and I do he tells me and hit the centre, then go out for lunch. This time I know the food. Spaghetti with some tomato sauce. I sit with Uriah again who asks what exactly we are learning.

"We are fighting after this and I don't know shit about that."

Marlene looks over at the initiates table.

"There is some competition for you, let's be honest. You need to make a quick kill hit. Temple, throat. Get them off their feet and pounce. Be fast", she says and I give her a grateful smile and continue eating as Lynn says: "And if it's a guy just knee him in the balls."

Uriah and Sammy protest at that, saying it is an unfair fight then and I stick out my tongue at them.