Chapter XIX

The next morning brings a headache and regrets.

I don't regret forgiving Eric, but I do regret drinking too much. And singing in front of so many people. And completely embarrassing myself in front of Eric. Good Lord, I probably would have gone further if he hadn't stopped me. And that alone proves to me that he is a good man. A good person who would never push his girlfriend into the chasm.

At breakfast I sit away from everybody else, just wanting peace and first and foremost, quiet.

And sooner than later it is 12 pm and the first happy laughs can be heard from the Pit. The first families arrive. I do not spot Tobias anywhere. With dread and against better judgement, I walk towards the Pit, hoping to find Tobias there, maybe Eric. I should talk to him. My father wouldn't come. He'd never set a foot in this reckless, muscles-for-brains-faction with only the most stupid to transfer. But I do see Tris with her mother, as well as Uriah with his parents. Apparently, Dauntlessborn aren't allowed in the normal living quarters during initiation. Usually, if you don't have a big brother with a cool apartment where they throw parties. Like in Uriah's case.

And then there is Tobias, walking towards me.

"He won't come. He didn't come on my visiting day", he says.

"I know", I grit, remembering in detail just how that day played out for me.

"That bad?"

I nod, he sighs, gives my shoulder a squeeze and leaves. Marleen introduces me to her parents and so does Sammy. They are all kind and friendly and really cool. I guess you have to be a relaxed parent if you'd have your child grow up here, where they fight before they speak.

Sammy invites me to come to the cafe with his family and I was about to say yes, when Tris taps my shoulder.

"Your father is here", she smiles and leaves just after that.

"We'll leave you to it then", Sammy says and gives me a short wave when exiting the Pit.

I turn to the entrance. And sure enough, there he stands, smiling. But I know better. His shoulders are tense, and his fingers twitch ever so slightly, his eyes are cold.

I take a step back as he walks towards me.

"Theresa!", he calls out, still smiling.

"Hello, Marcus. Why are you here?", I say, making sure there is always an arm's length between us.

"Visiting my beautiful and strong daughter, that is what visiting day is for, is it not?"

"Sure. You saw me, now leave. I transferred for a reason."

"I must say, I am surprised that they haven't kicked you out yet, seeing your attitude", he spits.

And I feel it again, the hairs on my neck rising. And I am so grateful for it.

"I should introduce you to my trainer, Eric, you might know him", I state, as I feel Eric standing behind me.

"Yes. The youngest leader. We made an acquaintance not so long ago."

"You're an Eaton?", Eric asks me.

"Was, not anymore."

My father takes a step forward, reaching out his hand. I flinch back.

"Once an Eaton, always an Eaton. Transferring doesn't change anything, sweetheart."

"Well, Mr Eaton, I can tell you that your daughter is fitting in perfectly. She is ranking high and she is picking up new techniques quickly. You can be proud."