give me a moment to breathe

Start from the beginning

"Sorry.. I didn't know they'd just snap at me.." She mumbles. You can tell by the look on her face that she feels guilty.

"Don't apologize for something that isn't your fault, Asa." You say, kissing her cheek and placing your hand on her back. "Let's just go to my place, 'kay?" Her face turns red. She begins to walk with you, remaining silent.

"Hey! Chicken girl! What's up?!" You hear a girl yell from behind. You hear two other girls laughing.

Asa remains silent, and you look over your shoulder. You know them, they're from your class.

One of them places their hand on your shoulder. "Heeey, Y/N, why are you with chicken girl?" The girl says.

"Why are you in my business?"

"Just wondering why you're hanging out with a loser."

The other two are standing beside Asa, quietly giggling. Asa stares down at her shoes, quiet as a mouse.

You look around, not seeing really anybody on the streets.

You grab her wrist and throw her hand off your shoulder.

"What's your deal? She didn't do anything wrong. It was just a mistake." You tell her.

"We'd still have Bucky if it weren't for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she went vegan after-"

Blood gushes out of her nose, and she falls onto the ground. The other two girls gasp. Asa whips her head around and sees you wiping blood off your knuckles.

You kneel down next to the girl and get in her face. "When you get home, take a look in the mirror and decide who's the bigger loser, asshole. Don't pick on her 'cuz you didn't wanna kill a fucking devil."

You stand up and push the other two girls. They stumble back and hit the gate, catching themselves. You grab Asa and pull her away, continuing to walk down the sidewalk.

After a couple minutes of silence, she spoke. "Why did you do that?"

"You need to stand up for yourself. They're not gonna stop 'till you do something about it."

"I can solve my problems on my own.."

"Then tell me how you'll solve it."

She goes quiet and stops walking. "Do you not think I can?" She says, becoming a little offended. You stop and turn around. "If I didn't, I wouldn't have told you to stand up for yourself." You reply.

"..Then tell me how. Preferably without hurting anyone, though.. that was a little mean." She says and starts walking again. You trail beside her and sigh. "Well, with brats like that, it's not as if you can talk to them. You gotta show them that their actions have consequences."

"But.. I don't know how."

"If you can't do that, then you could just stop giving a reaction. They're doing that just to see you hurt."

"Oh.. well, I guess that makes sense. I can try."

"If it ever gets physical, just let me know. I'll help."

"..Thank you."

You reach your apartment door, and you sigh. The door creaks open and leads to a small entrance. There's three rooms.

You kick your shoes off, and she does the same. You take the box from her and place it on a table. She follows you into your room. It's a pretty basic bedroom. A bed, a TV propped up on a desk filled with notebooks, and a small dresser.

You sit on your bed. "Well? Like it?" You ask. "I like it a lot, actually. What are all these notebooks?" She says, standing next to them as she reads a bit of what's written. You jump up and shut them. You glance at her and slide them away. "Uhh.. n-nothing."