Chapter 19

Trigger Warning: this chapter is a bit dark.

Elskling is Norwegian for "sweetheart"

********

Winter woke with a start. She found herself tied down to a chair. Bucky was across the room from her. He had a look of complete fear in his eyes. He tried to call out to her but there was a gag in his mouth. She noticed his eyes shifted over to the side. Turning her head as best as she could, she saw Steve and Natasha hanging by their wrists to her right. They were both badly beaten and bleeding on the floor. She looked towards her left and saw Sam and Tony tied down to tables. She watched as she saw a man in a white lab coat make his way towards Bucky, hooking him up to the device that would wipe his memory. As Bucky started yelling out, the man in the coat turned and smiled evilly as he flipped the switch. Winter’s eyes grew as she recognized her father. Winter started screaming for him to stop, but it was as if her voice was lost. She jerked in the chair, trying to break free.

Suddenly, Winter sat up, tears streaming down her face. It was only a dream. Or was it?

“If you are wondering what that was that you just saw, that is a possible outcome of the future,” she heard a deep voice say.

Winter looked over to the chair next to her bed in the healing ward. Odin sat, watching her. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her breathing.

“He has them, doesn’t he?” she asked quietly.

Odin nodded, “Yes, child, he does.” They both sat in silence. Odin spoke up, “Your uncles are rather fond of you. They are working with the Asgardian guards and your bow wielding friend. But the only way to end this is between you and your father.”

Winter’s head snapped over to Odin. “What do you mean?”

Odin stood and walked over to the bed, sitting on the edge. “There was a prophecy, written long ago, long before you were born. Our fates are sealed. The ending of our stories written by the Norns themselves. Your father, being who he is, decided to find out his fate. Something that can drive a man crazy, knowing the outcome of one’s life. His fate is that his demise will be his firstborn. You.”

Winter shook her head in disbelief, “I don’t understand.”

“Your father swore that day that he would not have any children. Thought he could outsmart the Norns. But what is written is to happen. I fear that his treatment of you was his way of trying to rewrite his fate. Either make you his weapon or break you. But he was too blind by his ego and further sealed his fate. He did make you into a weapon, a weapon destined to kill him.”

Winter sat in silence, trying to process everything Odin had just told her. He reached out and took one of her hands, an uncommon gesture for the Allfather.

“You my child, are the only thing, the only person who can put a stop to this. But you must face this trial alone. This is not the destiny of your uncles.” Odin stood and made his way towards the door. “Heimdall awaits you at the bifrost. He will ensure that you arrive where you are needed. The others will follow, but I can stall them for a short while.”

Winter watched as Odin began walking out. She quickly called out with the one burning question she had, “Grandfather?” Odin stopped. “Do you know the outcome of my fate?”