Chapter 7

Steve followed Bucky down to one of the training rooms of the tower. When he walked in, he found him at one of the punching bags. Steve noticed the blood seeping through the bandage that Bucky had wrapped around his hand. Steve sat down on one of the stools near the boxing ring, waiting for Bucky to talk when he was ready. After punching the bag to where it flew across the room in a heap, Bucky turned and looked at Steve.

"I don't know what to do Steve." He moved to sit down next to his friend. "She used to be so strong and fearless. Nothing ever broke her down. Now she is just a shell of a person. I barely recognize her."

Steve sighed; he knew all too well how Bucky was feeling. It was the same way he felt when they had found Bucky.

"She's been through a lot of trauma. It will take her time to heal, but in time, just like with you, she will get better and become more herself." Steve patted his friend's arm. "It's like Bruce said, we just need to give her some time. Let her adjust to not being locked up in a cell and being tortured all the time. We need to show her that she is safe."

Bucky nodded his head. "Is she ok?" he asked softly. "I didn't scare her when I stormed off, did I?"

Steve shook his head, "I think she was more concerned about you."

********

Clint and Winter made it back to his and Natasha's floor. As much as Winter wanted to get away from the eyes of the team and the endless questions she was sure they had, she also wasn't sure if she wanted to be alone. She knew how bad her episode had been the night before and knew how bad it had scared Clint and Bucky. Instead of walking down the hall to her room, she grabbed Clint's hand. He turned and looked at her, concern in his eyes.

"I don't want to be alone," she whispered.

Clint nodded his head and led her to the sitting area. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Winter sat down on the couch and stared at her hands. Her thoughts were running around her head like a tornado. She didn't know what to focus on or say. She finally spoke up, once again just above a whisper.

"I just feel so lost."

Clint's heart broke for her. He knew he needed to say something but looking at her made him feel anxious. She was the most beautiful person he had ever seen and wanted nothing more than to hold her. Going against his better judgement, he slowly reached over and took Winter's hands into his. Winter looked up and saw those beautiful kind eyes staring at her. Unlike the others, whose eyes gave away their feelings of pity towards her, his eyes were of understanding and dare she say love? The ding of the elevator broke the silence and Bucky came walking off the elevator.

"Hey," he said softly. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah," Winter replied. Before she stood up, she leaned over and gave Clint a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you," she whispered.

Clint slowly smiled to himself. He watched as Winter walked away and looked over to Bucky who gave him a stern stare before he followed Winter into her room. Bucky gently shut the door as Winter sat down on her bed.

"Are you ok?" he asked.

Winter smirked, "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" as she gestured towards his hand.

Bucky shook his head, "I'm sorry for reacting like that. It just makes me so angry knowing what they did to you."

Winter patted the bed next to her and Bucky sat down.

"James, what happened isn't your fault. As much as I feel so lost right now and not in control, I am so thankful that you found me." Winter took his hands and squeezed them. "I keep playing everything in my head, wondering if there was a way to change what had happened, but as twisted as it sounds, I'm glad they took you away and you got out when you did. Because if they hadn't, we wouldn't be here now."