First Day Back

Max

"Max!" Someone yelled waking me up from another nightmare. I was sweating and my breathing was irregular. I blinked a few times trying to sharpen my sight. Audrey, my stepsister all tho I saw her more as a real one, stared back at me with a worried expression on her face. She sat down next to me on my bed, waiting patiently until I had pulled myself together enough that I could breathe again. "I've been calling your name for 7 minutes. That's the 3rd one this week, Max." She said quietly while rubbing her hand over my back in a soothing way. It calmed me down. It always calmed me down. I took a deep breath before speaking, "I'm sorry, I didn't want to wake you." I sighed. "It's fine, Max. I'm just freaking out here, I'm not sure what to do. Maybe you should tell your dad that they are back again?" Yeah, only it's not just the nightmares that are back again. It's also the guys that want to beat me up until I stop breathing. "No, Audrey it's fine really. I'll get over it." I mumbled. "Just try and get some more sleep, alright? It's 4 am, and school starts in a few hours." Right, school, first day back after Christmas break. "Yeah." I nodded but made no move to get back to sleep. "You know if you wanted me to stay here you could just say so." Audrey grinned making me smile as well. "Now scoof over." She said rolling me to the side and laying down next to me. "Thanks, Audrey." I muttered giving over to the exhaustion as my sister continued circling her hand over my back. 

"Max! School!" Mom yelled from downstairs. I rolled out of bed. Audrey wasn't here anymore, which I already suspected, she always leaves to her own room again after I fall asleep. I don't really mind, it's not like I'm awake to notice anyways. 
I stumbled into the bathroom attached to my room and took a quick shower to freshen up. I changed into a pair of beige cargo's and a red Prema shirt, too lazy to find something fashionable. I was absolutely exhausted, hadn't had a goodnight sleep for months and the lack of rest was catching up on me. 

I met with mom and Penelope, my baby sister, (who wasn't really a baby anymore at almost 6 years old) downstairs in the kitchen, mom was grabbing breakfast for P. "Morning." I greeted them as I sat myself down on one of the stools at the kitchen island. "Morning, baby." Mom said kissing my cheek as she walked past me, placing a bowl of who knows what in front of P. "Are you ready for school again?" She asked. "Yeah, sure." I mumbled not really hearing her question. She stared at me for a second then shrugged it off. "I have a photo shoot, so I gotta go, can you wake your dad for me? Don't forget to eat, baby." She rushed out as she grabbed her stuff and stalked out the door. "Yeah fine." I answered even tho she was already gone. "What are you eating?" I asked Penelope as I scrunched up my nose from the smell. "It's not good." P said shaking her head and dropping her spoon in the bowl. "I'll get you some applesauce or something." I told her grabbing the bowl and putting it in the sink. 

My phone rang just as I was about to leave the house for school. I checked the contact before picking up. "Dean?" I asked still fighting to keep my eyes open. "Where are you, asshole? It's 7:50, we were supposed to meet up at 7:40." Fuck. 
"Sorry I lost track of time. I'm on my way now, you guys should go without me. I don't want you to get late because of me." I told him as I hurried over to my dirt bike, of which I still wasn't sure if they were allowed on the road but I'd never gotten in trouble before so it was probably fine. 
Obviously with just my luck, it started raining.

At school I took the time to put my books and my coat in my locker before heading to class since I was uncomfortably wet with my curls stuck to my forehead and my cargo's almost brown of color, I also didn't really mind missing a few minutes of English class, I was dyslectic as fuck so I wouldn't understand anything anyways. 

"Max, with your father being the fastest driver on earth you'd think you would make it to class on time." Mrs Lawrence said, noticing my presence at the door. "Sorry m'am my bike broke down." I muttered heading to my usual seat next to Dean and behind Léa and Laura. What is it with all girls names starting with the L in our class? Léa, Laura, Lisa, Laurine, Lorette, Liselotte, it's confusing as fuck. I have no idea which name belongs to who anymore. Just the two L's in front of me. 
"Dean is mad at me because I didn't want to call you before we left so you'd be waiting in the rain," Laura sighed turning around to face me. "Can you tell him to man up, the ride here was awkward as fuck with his silent treatment. He's too obsessed with you." She rolled her eyes giving her twin brother a dirty look. "Ahw thanks, pal, I wouldn't let you wait in the rain either." I smiled at my best friend patting his cheek. "You already did, asshole." Laura groaned. "I finally had the time to curl my hair and finish off my make up in time, and you fucked it up. Look my hair's all wet and my make up's all gone." She pouted. "Don't worry it still looks fine." I told her. "Fine? Is that all? Last week you told Léa her make up looked good and all I get is fine?" She whined. "I'd say you look hot but your brother would kill me." I shrugged.
"Oh don't worry I know she's not your type. You're into blonds." Dean said joining in on our conversation. "Not blonds. He's into Maya." Léa grinned also hopping in. "No I'm not." I defended myself. "You're blushing, Holland." Laura chuckled. "Am not!" 
"Max! Quiet down or leave this classroom, you've missed enough don't you think." Mrs Lawrence warned. "Uhg teachers don't understand the reasons for school." Laura complained a little too loud. "Laura, dear, enlighten me. What are the reasons for school?" Mrs Lawrence frowned at her, still with a smile on her face. Mrs Lawrence could be annoying but she was by far the chillest teacher in this school. Others wouldn't even let me in the classroom after already missing 20 minutes of the lesson. 
"It's all about the gossip, Miss. We haven't been able to gossip for two weeks. Two whole, complete weeks." Laura said as if it was the most dramatic thing ever. "Don't be a drama queen, pet, we all know you guys have Christmas together every year." 
"They know us too well, we need new teachers." Laura whispered making Mrs Lawrence smile. "I know you love me, Laura, you left me a note before Christmas break." 
"That was between you and me! I said it on the paper. Don't share this specific information with anyone else." Laura groaned. "Ahw little sis are you a teacher's pet?" Dean joked. "Shut up I'm older than you."
"Two minutes. I'm taller." 
"Alright kids, fun's over. Back to business." 

The first few classes all went over in a blur, it was lunch break so our group all went over to the kantine, our group being all the drivers kids or the DK's, how others called us at school. 
We all got along, except for Jules and I. It always got messy when we were together for too long. There was always something to argue or fight about, just like today, he was talking shit about other drivers. One of which was Arthur, George Russel's son who lived in England. "You know he beats you every weekend right?" I muttered overly annoyed about hearing his voice alone. Looking at his face was enough to set me off, both ways around, everything I did annoyed him and everything he did annoyed me. Easy as that. 

"You're full of shit, Max, everyone knows I'm a better driver than him." Jules said rolling his eyes. "I'd gladly pull up the scores for you. I mean, proof is all there." I shrugged. "Do whatever you want, no one cares. So what he beated me in a few races? I'm still faster." Jules defended himself with more bullshit. "A few races meaning almost the whole season?" I chuckled taking a bite of my sandwich. Jules glared at me, he probably didn't know what to say anymore. "Cat got your tongue?" I asked highly amused. "No I'm just done talking to you, actually I can't recall talking to you in the first place." He said. "I have to keep reminding myself that you're 17 every time you say something, talking to you is honestly the same as talking to Penelope." I chuckled quietly. "Shut the fuck up, Max. I'll rip your head off." He threatened. I laughed at that. "I'd love to see you try." He grabbed my shirt from across the table and pulled me closer to him. "You gotta be careful now, Max." Jules warned. "Ew dude, you need a shower." I scrunched my nose up in disgust. He didn't really smell bad at all, quite the opposite actually but it's way too amusing to mess with him. "Jules let him go, you know he only does this for entertainment." Dean sighed dropping down in the seat next to me. Where was he? Not my biggest concern now. 
"Yeah, do you think he still finds this entertaining when I smash his face in?" Jules asked Dean. I couldn't keep in my laughter anymore. Him thinking he can do that is way too funny. 
"You think I'm joking, asshole?" Jules sneered, attention back to me. 

I was. But I'm not so sure anymore.