T W E N T Y O N E

T W E N T Y O N E

THE FIRST THING THAT LUCIE SEES IS CURTAINS WHICH ARE DRAWN, her eyes then drift towards her arm which has an IV sticking out of it

The heart monitor beside her signaled a steady beep. She could hear the people talking behind the curtain. Noticing a bunch of cords next to her, she spots the call button for the nurses station and presses it.

The curtains are pulled back and a nurse comes in. "You're awake." The nurse says in surprise.

"Where am I?" Lucie asks timidly.
"You're at Royal Hope Hospital." The nurse replies as she takes a look in her eyes. "You were found passed out on the floor with a open wound on your forehead. Do you feel nauseous, dizziness or tiredness?" The nurse then asks.

"Just tired and I've got a bit of a headache." Lucie responds.

"I'm gonna ask if we can get you another MRI scan. In the meantime, can you remember your name?" The nurse asks with a smile.

"Lucie. Lucie Johnson." She says.

"Is that with a y or ie at the end?" The nurse then asks writing it down on the file that's attached to the end of the bed.

"With an ie." Lucie smiles. "My mom preferred it to written the ie way." She adds.

"Do you have a contact number for her or any other family members?" The nurse then asks.

"No." Lucie responds. "I don't know where they are." Lucie says playing with her hands.

"It's ok." The nurse says softly. "I'll go and put in for that MRI scan." The nurse adds.

Lucie watches as the nurse walks away from the bed she is laying. Her eyes dart around the room as she starts to feel anxious. Her eyes then drift over towards the main door again she spots a group of medical students coming into the ward.

"Now then, Miss..."

"Johnson. Lucie Johnson." She responds to the old guy.

"A very good morning to you. How are you today?" He asks her.

"I'm a bit tired and I've got a headache." She responds to him.

"Lucie Johnson, admitted two days ago, she was found unconscious outside of the hospital with a head injury. Jones, why don't you see what you can find? Amaze me." He instructs one of the students.

"Yes, sir. Now if you could look at my nose." She instructs Lucie, who does exactly as she is told to do. "Pupils seem to be unequal. Her eye movements seem to be sluggish as well." The young student responds.

"Well done, Miss Jones" The male doctor tells his student. "She has mild concussion. Now let's go onto our next patient." He informs the group.

Lucie smiles at the young student who returns the smile. She examined the other patients in ward. A few are sleeping and whilst one is with a nurse vomiting. She lays back on the pillow and stares up at the ceiling playing with  her fingers.