Chapter 19: Gone

"Honey, come here." Henry put a hand on her shoulder. "I can get you a new car. I'm sure Grandpa has another one-"

"You don't understand," Maia jerked away from him and looked up at him, tears in her eyes. "That car was Mom's car. It was special. There is no replacing it!"

Henry sighed. "Maia, he had papers proving it was his organization's-"

"-that he left in the junkyard for years!" Maia interrupted sharply. "I worked on it-He left it to rot. It's not fair that he could just leave it for years and now take it back!"

"Maia, it is," Henry spoke patiently. "He owns the car-he can do with it what he wishes; you should be glad you were able to race in it."

At once something in Maia snapped. She jerked away from her father and glared at him. "I knew it," she was fuming. "I bet you're glad the car's gone, aren't you? Now I can't race anymore."

Henry was silent.

"TELL ME!" Pointing her finger at her father, Maia demanded, tears in her eyes. "You're glad it's gone, aren't you."

Henry opened his mouth to speak but then closed it.

"I knew it," Maia whispered. "I hate you! You let him take the car and you don't care how important it is to me. You're glad it's gone!"

At her words, a stricken look appeared on Henry's face. He gaped at his daughter.

With A sob, Maia turned and ran over to where she had thrown her bike down. Picking it up she slipped her helmet on and began pushing it down the driveway.

"Mai! Wait!" Henry ran after her. "Where are you going?"

Pausing at the foot of the driveway, Maia did not so much as glance at her father. "Out-for fresh air." She  pedaled away.

Henry watched, heartbroken, as his daughter rode down the road and out of sight. Finally with a silent shake of his head he turned and stumbled into his garage.