Chapter 50

SOFIA

I'm still crying in my room as Darrel enters all panicked. I'm in my night gown, sitting on the floor, surrounded by used tissues. Somewhere in the background plays sad classical music. After the meeting, I went straight to my room to cry my eyes out. I tried to reach Alec, yet he didn't answer. Which means I'm alone in my room crying my eyes out. I'm alone, lonely and miserable.

Darrel looks at me and after seeing my state, I can see how he wishes he wouldn't have to tell me the next thing. However, he pulls his entire courage and says: "Your Royal Highness, I just got a call from New York."

I look up at him worried, knowing New York is where all my friends live and one of them might be in danger.

"Mister Dunn is currently in the ED at the New York Hospital." he continues.

What?!

"Where is he? How is he? Is he hurt? Can I see him?" I begin, standing up alerted and rushing around the room to get changed. Although Darrel is in the same room, I get undressed and put on some fresh clothes. He looks away during the whole time.

"I don't have any further details, only that he was involved in a car accident."

I freeze. Alec was involved in a car accident. He's in the ED.

"I need to get to him." I say, almost rushing out of the room.

"But, Your Royal Highness, you aren't feeling well..." he whispers, pointing to the used tissues on the floor.

"Darrel, my boyfriend; the love of my life; is in the hospital. I need to go see him." I say, my voice sounding less than a statement and more like an order.

"I'll inform the staff to get the plane ready." he says, pulling out his phone. And luckily, he doesn't spend much time. In fifteen minutes, we're already in the jet on the way to New York.

~

The flight takes eight hours. Eight freaking hours, in which I try hard not to think of the worst. I try to picture Alec next to me, smiling, hugging me, kissing me, telling me we'll be alright. Yet these phantasies are stopped by two realities. The first one, the fact he's in a hospital right now at the emergency department after being involved in a car accident. The fact I could lose him in any second and I'm far away from him. I don't want to lose him. I want him to be with me. The second reality is the fact that if we will decide to come together forever and have a child once, that child will be the heir to the throne. And will have to leave a life with no freedom.

I finished five tissue boxes until now.

The moment the plane leads, I force everyone to hurry up and it doesn't take long until I'm sitting in a car with Darrel and my personal driver. We're rushing to the hospital, probably going exactly at the speed limit. It's best if no policeman would check us now. I'm not sure we'll pass the test.

The driver stops the car in front of the hospital and I rush inside followed by Darrel. The receptionist looks at me surprised to see me here, however I speak before she can say something.

"Hello. My name is Sofia Estair and I'm here to see my boyfriend, Alec Dunn."

She nods, making the connection. She's probably heard of us before. Seen us on the television or read in the magazines. I don't know or care how she knows, I just need to see my babe.

"Please follow me, Your Royal Highness. I'll bring you to him." she says and personally leads me to Alec. We stop in front of a private hospital room and the receptionist opens the door. I follow her inside and scream as I see him. Alec is lying in bed, his eyes closed, machines beeping next to him. He's wearing hospital clothes and looks pale. His right cheek has a long scar on it. One, which probably will never disappear.