"Yeah, she's not good at keeping secrets. Thank god I didn't tell her anything of what you told me about you and Mei"

"You didn't?" I asked, surprised.

"Nope" she said, equally confused. "You thought I had?"

"Kind of. You know, I haven't exactly gotten the best impression of you in these months" I said, not caring about how insensitive that sounded. 

"Fair enough. But no, I didn't say anything. Anyway, you want me to show you around? I was just talking to some people who are also my friends, you should meet them" she suggested, pointing towards a group of five people sitting on the couch and the chairs around it.

"Sure" I said, resigned to the fact that I was going to have to talk to people at some point. And maybe socializing wasn't such a bad thing.

The rest of the evening went surprisingly well, all the people I talked to were doing master's courses at my same university, two of them graduated in the same major as mine and were really interested in hearing how I was getting on, also giving me a few tips.

I feared that Maya would make some weird comment when we talked about professors, but she didn't. Maybe she was honest about not acting as annoying as she did in the past anymore. 

Spending time with her around other people made me realize that if it wasn't for what happened, we would have probably got on really well with each other. I found myself agreeing with most things she'd say in conversations, and she was more outspoken with others than I thought. She'd usually only be like that with me to make fun of me or make comments. 

But I still needed to be careful around her. I was fine with being her friend, kind of,  but only as long as that didn't interfere with me and Sam in any way. I was ready to break all contacts immediately if that happened. 

Overall, I genuinely was enjoying myself so much during the evening that I didn't check my phone for hours, until I noticed Sam had texted me.

sam<3: Are you taking the subway alone when you come home?

you: yeah, i guess so
you: it's always full of people on saturday nights anyway, don't worry about it
you: if that's why you asked

sam<3: I can come and pick you up if you prefer, you told me it's near your work anyway, right?

you: noo babe don't worry
you: it's almost midnight, i'm not gonna make you go out and drive at this time

sam<3: You know I don't mind, love
sam<3: I can come in like an hour if you text me the address

you: you really don't have to :')
you: i'll accept though, an hour is perfect
you: thank you, i love you <3

I only looked up from my screen, still smiling at the texts, once someone loudly exclaimed "Get a room".

And I realized maybe they were right once I saw Sarah and Mei making out quite enthusiastically, you could say.

"Sorry" the blonde mumbled as the two burst out laughing. "Got carried away there"

"Yeah" Mei cleared her throat. "I'm gonna go use the restroom for a sec. I'll be right back" she added, getting up from her lap.

"Go ahead, I'm gonna stay here baby" she said, moving to the seat next to mine as everyone already moved on from making fun of the two. "How are you getting on?" she asked me.

"Well, actually. I'm happy I came" I smiled.

"I told you it'd be fun!" she patted my shoulder.

"Guess you were right" I chuckled, recognizing she was quite tipsy from her voice.