"And here I offer you food, a bath, clothes, and you haven't even thanked me once," he started, pouring more 'whiskey' into his bowl. "Don't you know you can trust me not to hurt—"

"Do not presume to assume that I would ever trust a human, let alone, a pirate," I spat, causing his eyes to widen and sparkle. He was pleased, and I immediately regretted my actions. I had been baited and given him exactly what he wanted. Not only did he now know I could speak and understand him, but also converse.

"I beg your pardon, little mermaid, but have I harmed you? Or have done anything that would dishonor you or myself?" he questioned.

"You dishonor yourself by keeping me prisoner!" I shouted, and he sat back in his chair, smiling.

"I must say, you have the most charming voice I've ever heard."

"Mind yourself, pirate, for you have no idea of the powers I possess. I could make you and your men suffer so greatly that you will regret the day you ever fished me out of the ocean." He didn't respond to my warning, instead, the amused smile slightly dropped from his face as we stared at each other. Abruptly, he pushed himself up from the chair and walked around the table towards me. He leaned down, trying to intimidate me, but I refused to show fear. I kept my gaze forward.

"I believe you when you say you could make me regret capturing you," he began, then suddenly held up my necklace in front of my face. My eyes widened, and I reached out for it, only for him to pull back and make me face him. "But do you want to know what I think? I think that without this necklace here, you don't have any powers, just like you no longer have a tail. I think without this necklace, you are as human as I am."

I turned away from him again, looking slightly downward, a minor defeat. Satisfied by the silence, he returned to his seat. "Now, how about we start with something easy? Like your name."

"How about you return my necklace and let me go?" I countered.

"What's in it for me, little mermaid? You see, on this ship, there's only one way to get something. You gotta give something of equal value. Letting you go would be a bad investment, plus you haven't shown me any favor–"

"If you think I would offer myself to you," I interrupted.

"I don't want your body, though I must say it is quite tempting even in that old ragged dress, but no, that's not what I'm after." I scoffed at him, and he grabbed the piece of parchment I had been holding earlier. "But, information about this... well... that could be very valuable to me."

I looked away from him and the piece of parchment, feeling extremely conflicted by his request. It was treason to reveal any mermaid information to humans, punishable by death. Even in cases like mine, disclosing anything about our world or ourselves could not only lead to exile but possibly result in my death. However, if I didn't tell him about it, I would never be free and would remain trapped on this ship or face an even worse fate.

Still, I had to remain loyal.

"I don't know what that is." My captor let out a laugh and grabbed another piece of fruit from the platter.

"Lying doesn't suit you, mermaid. You ain't have the face for it, too innocent-looking. You want to go home, don't you? Tell me what I want to know, and I'll let you go," he offered, darkening his tone. "But if you lie to me, you won't like the outcome."

"As I said, I don't know what it is." I tried to sound more convincing this time, but judging by the look on his face at the response, I felt that my attempts fell short.

"Really?" he asked shortly, and I nodded. He opened one of the bottom drawers and retrieved an item. When he placed it on the table, I realized what it was.