12: THE TRUTH HE HIDES

(blood.lots of.)

The sight was dreadful, the doctor’s mouth covered up with a white cloth, his eyes wild and he looked like a dead soldier. Meanwhile, the same guy from that day laughed at their faces. Their expressions, mouth agape, aghast. His hands went up to remove his kitsune mask and Yunho’s shoulders stiffening could be seen.

Beside him, Hongjoong detached their hands and steered forward to stand in front of Yunho as a shield. The blueth luminaries highlighted the tips of his now growing hair and his jawline was more prominent as if he were a fancy painting. 

Seonghwa felt overwhelmed by the sight when the Kitsune guy finally removed his mask to toss it into the corner of the room, the knife in his hands pressing harder to Doctor Jung’s neck. Sweat bids formed on Seonghwa’s forehead as he heard the guy whisper:

“It’s me, San, or X? You can call me the name you like.” His tone was lethally feral and fierce. The blue light behind him turned into a dazzling hue of turquoise, as if having the same amount of participation in this iniquitous tactic. 

The light brightened into a brilliant color gradually, making San’s form look deadly. Moreover, it made him look no different from hades. Rage consumed him when he kicked the chair of the doctor as it fell to the side which pulled out a muffled growl of pain from him. 

He laughed. San laughed like a lunatic before he tossed the knife away, it landing on top of the doctor’s head. They stared frightfully, trepidation swallowed them entirely when they watched the knife land on his head but didn’t cause any damage. 

“I have a proposal.” San started, shuffling forward to stand facing Hongjoong. Seonghwa nearly bolted to push him away from Hongjoong but when he noticed the relaxed position of his significant other, he stopped himself. 

A smirk played across San’s lips when he turned his chin to point at Seonghwa. “You. you and me, a duel? If you win, you can get the orb and if you don’t, you will have to succumb to me.” He pointed a finger at Seonghwa. 

He seemed to be hearing their thoughts when he already offered the orb to them openly. Seonghwa had no other choice but to agree and pull Hongjoong back safely, a scowl escaping from his face. “No, I propose you fight me, not him.” 

“You are not going to do so, it’s me. Back off, pride.” Seonghwa’s voice was fierce, ferociously gnawing at Hongjoong who looked like he wanted to kick Seonghwa. His mouth lifted in a frown as he tried to struggle away from the grip on his arms, a glare fixed on Seonghwa. 

Eventually, the struggles died down when Hongjoong backed off with a huff. Smirking in triumph, Seonghwa now faced San who was oh so close. Seonghwa was now sure that he was not seeing falsehood when he thought of San as Hades. 

“I accept your challenge.” He nodded his head, hands reaching down to grab his dagger which was tucked safely in his belt. Pulling it out with a swish, he pointed the tip at San. 

San, who sneered in victory, pulled out his own and took positions at the back. Seonghwa bent his knees, dropping down onto a low squat, his torso upright as San did the same, if not, more flexibility he possessed. 

They shuffled into a proper stance, their feets were paralleled to each other. Elegantly, as if going to perform sorcery in a field of monsters, Seonghwa was the first one to attempt an attack. Lashing forward, he struck the weapon forward, but San dodged it easily. 

Though a small cut made its way on his cheeks, he didn’t mind and smirked instead. The next attack was from San, as he dodged the deadly weapon, going to the side, he put his hands up to strike at Seonghwa’s cheeks as well. The sharp knife didn’t do any harm as Seonghwa was restless and pushed San away with an elbow to his face.