Chapter 10

Her desk was empty again. Letting out a quiet sigh, Yagari looked at Takuma. "Is she holed up in her room again? She missed an assignment."

"I don't know where she is. She wasn't in her room when I went to wake her for class today." He scowled and crossed his arms, glaring at Yagari.

"You shouldn't scowl like that, it makes you look like a kicked puppy." Leaning against the teacher's podium, Yagari began talking about the morality of classism and the dangers of viewing oneself as above others. He thought it was a little funny, saying this to a room full of aristocrats who had never had to lift a finger. Not even just aristocrats, but also vampires, who saw themselves as higher because they were physically stronger.

As always, there were no questions, just accusatory gazes and a faint air of fear. The night class students were a quiet bunch, rarely bothering to talk amongst themselves, much less interact with the faculty. It was the opposite of human classrooms. Usually, they were trying to get the class to quiet down, Yagari wished he could get anyone to volunteer something. This would be horrible if I was actually interested in teaching at all.

When the bell sounded, he finished his thought and then left the room. His usual relaxed pace was replaced with an anxious speed-walk as he made his way towards the dormitories. The wind made his eyes water. Dark clouds dispersed any light that may have come from the moon. His stomach squeezed. Where could she be?

The card on her dresser made his heart fall into his feet. It was addressed to him. Breathing deeply, he stuck his hand out and picked it up, turning it over. What he expected to be a long message was just one line, the characters written with the careful precision of a student.

Come to the faculty building. I have a surprise for you.

Letting out a sigh of relief, he put it back down on the dresser. A deeper scowl than usual made it onto his face. His brow twitched in annoyance as he made his way towards the staff building. He walked quickly, his hands balled at his sides. The light in the kitchen was on, glowing in the pitch black. He walked in, and crossed his arms. "Elise!"

She popped her head out of the kitchen into the main room. "Tōga! Right on time, I've got-"

"Are you serious!?" Elise's smile fell and she lowered her hands, still holding the towel she had been drying them with. "You weren't at class and Takuma had no idea where you were. You left a note on your dresser! I thought you had- I thought you might've-" He huffed and looked away. "I was worried about you."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't think about that." She looked away, rubbing her arm. "I just... wanted to surprise you. I figured you would go to my dorm after class to... I dunno, get mad at me for skipping again. I made you a promise though," she looked up, meeting his eyes, "I intend to keep it. I won't do that again." Yagari rubbed his forehead and sighed.

Elise looked away again. "Anyway... do you want to join me for dinner?" She bit the inside of her cheek. "I get it if you say no. I'd be pissed at me too." She looked back up when he placed a hand on her shoulder. He tilted his head to the side a little, not smiling, but not scowling either. She gave him a small smile and took his hand, leading him into the kitchen.

"I know you're not really 'homesick' since you grew up in Japan, but I thought this might be a bit nostalgic for you. Kaien taught me how to cook stuff like this a few weeks ago. You brought France to me for our first date, so I thought I'd bring Japan to you."

Pink cherry blossoms were scattered around the room. She shut off the light and lit the candle on the table. The chabudai had a few different foods on it and cushions were seated side-by-side on the floor to sit on while they ate. The smell of ginger and mirin mixed with the fragrance of the flowers, permeating the room.