Chapter 5

Elise stared at the net, dribbling the ball with power and precision, working on her ball handling as she made her way there. She had come to the gym alone after class, turning down an invitation to a game of chess with Takuma. The slam of the ball against the floor echoed in the empty gym. After a few dozen layups she sighed and took a sip from her water bottle.

"Think you'll get any better when you just practice the exact same technique? Seriously, you haven't tweaked anything." Elise set her water bottle down and crossed her arms, frowning at Yagari. He picked up the ball and shot it, easily making a three-point basket. "You're not even facing anyone. What's the point of getting better if you're not going to do anything with it?"

"Well, care for a game then, O Incredible Ball-Master?" Yagari raised an eyebrow and tossed her the ball. She moved to the three point line. "Half court, keeps. I start because I'm a lady."

"Alright."

*

The school's bells sounded just as Elise made a final basket. "A tie, then. That was lots of fun, thanks for playing."

"It was only a tie because I was going easy on you." Yagari leaned against the wall and wiped the sweat from his forehead, his breathing ragged. Elise snorted and offered him her water bottle.

"Sure. A rematch then?"

"You're on. I'll destroy you." Yagari took her bottle, sniffing it before taking a drink. Elise leaned against the wall next to him, studying him with a watchful gaze. He did the same to her, his usual scowl replaced by a neutral expression.

There was something about her. The way she talked, the way she smiled, the way she wore her emotions on her sleeve. Nothing about her reminded him of a vampire. Yet, he knew she was one. Yagari wanted to get to know her better, to find the extent of her humanity, to know what turned her into a monster. Maybe nothing did, maybe she wasn't a beast. She challenged everything he believed about vampires.

Elise couldn't stand the way he looked at her, like she was some kind of puzzle to figure out, but at the same time she wanted him to look at her forever. She wanted to hide everything from him, but she wanted him to know everything. He confused her. Like a cool breeze in the summer, everything he did seemed to contradict what she had heard about him. He seemed the opposite of ruthless.

Turning away, she blew a piece of hair out of her face. He handed her the water bottle back and they made their way to the doors. Pausing with his grip on the handle, he turned to her.

"Are you planning on going into town anytime soon?" She took a step back and shook her head, waving her hands in front of her.

"No. I... I can't trust myself going to town. Why?"

"I was just wondering. There's a french play being put on by the local theatre. Notre Dame de Paris, I think. Figured you might be interested." Elise sighed.

"That's my favourite musical. I was a professional stage actor when I was living in Canada with my sister. I've done Notre Dame more times than I can count. I had to stop acting when people started wondering why my appearance hadn't changed after 20 years, we moved back to France shortly after."

"So, why not come? I'll go with, I can make sure you don't hurt anyone." Elise stared up at him. He had a neutral expression, he actually looked a little bored.

She sighed and looked away, crossing her arms. "It's fine. You don't have to take me. I wouldn't want to make you do something like that."

"Alright, I'll go alone then." He opened the door and left the room. Elise furrowed her eyebrows and followed him out.