After the Precious Seconds

Charlus Potter stood in the trees, staring between the branches, watching as the unbreakable vow was performed and the bind between Lily Evans and his son, James. The vow formed the wedding rings and he felt his throat constrict - for the first time in years, though, the feeling was not caused by the smoke of the dragon pox. 

The pox were already long forgotten by now.

"...take one another's hands, and begin your lives together in holy matrimony." Albus Dumbledore smiled, "James Potter... you may kiss your bride."

Charlus held his breath and he watched as James laced his fingers through Lily's and leaned in to kiss her. Their lips met and Charlus couldn't tear his eyes away. He felt fit to burst.

There was a quiet rustling beside him and he raised his chin slightly, still not tearing his eyes away, even as James and Lily turned, their hands clasped together and turned to face everyone - they all stood up and clapped their hands, and Charlus joined in, enthusiastically raising his hands up high. James and Lily took a bow and ran together down the aisle as everyone's wand tips lit bright and they were showered in sparks like falling stars.

The look on his son's face was ecstatic - happier than Charlus had ever seen him - and Lily looked up at James with an expression of adoration as they made their rush to the exit of the chapel. "Atta boy Jamesy! Atta boy!" Charlus spun to watch them go and as the train of Lily's dress disappeared out the door, the entire room seemed to shiver like a mirage.

Charlus stayed staring at the place they'd been until everything about the scene had faded away - the trees, the chairs, the chuppa, the flowers, the night sky... everything... He didn't particularly notice, but with the scene what also faded away was the years... the wrinkles at his eyes and around his mouth that had developed with age, and the hair that had become closer to peppered than true black, and the muscles in his arms and his shoulders tightened with strength, as did his hips and his fingers...

"So that's it then," he said. He paused, then turned and looked at Mopsus, who stood beside him, dressed in a long grey cloak.

"That's it," Mopsus answered with a nod.

Charlus drew a deep breath, then turned to the Blind Seer. When he spoke, his voice was young and strong, as it had been when he was fifteen years old. "Mopsus... sir," he said, defecting to the way he would've spoke then, too, his brows furrowing in concern, "What happens - after the precious seconds, I mean?" 

Mopsus smiled, "There is peace, Mister Potter. After the precious seconds, you find peace."

Charlus looked confused, thinking about the idea, processing.

And then, just as the scene of the wedding had faded away, suddenly there was a new scene fading in - this from behind of Charlus. "What's this?" Charlus asked, turning in interest.

"What do you see, Charlus?" Mopsus asked kindly. 

Charlus squinted as the mirage shimmered into view, then his eyes lit with excitement. "The pitch!" 

"Oh?" Mopsus's voice was full of interest.

"Yeah! And -- and oh blimey - Hermes? That you mate?" Charlus was excitedt to see his friend, who was waiting for him, holding two broom sticks in one fist and a big red quaffle in the other.

"Oi Flea - catch!" Hermes Filch shouted, tossing the quaffle into the air, and Charlus hurried forward arms outstretched to catch the ball, forgetting the wedding and the forest had ever been - forgetting the Blind Seer - forgetting everything he was leaving behind... young and alive and full of joy.

Mopsus watched, smiling...

For on that side of life, the seer was not blind.