He arches a brow, shifting his weight, waiting for me to swing. "Perhaps the prince isn't that bad."

I chuckle, stepping and lashing the sword at his knees. He scuttles back like a little beetle, drawing a laugh from me as he blocks the blade. "Oh, he's bad," I say. "Obnoxious. Arrogant."

Aston drops his blade lightly into the dirt and shrugs, tossing me the most ridiculous smile. "He's hot though."

My jaw drops and my brows arch. "I should gut you right now for such a comment." I let out a shrill cackle that carries into the singing wind.

He laughs, cheeks reddening, clicking his tongue. "Perhaps it's just as good your aim was terrible that day."

I nod at his sword, and he assumes position, lowering his knees, and waiting for me to parry with him. Our blades crash, snap, and clank against one another, ringing throughout the forest. "My advice? Don't tell the prince any of those thoughts. We don't need to fuel his already overflowing ego. Have you seen the size of his head?"

He pouts, tilting his head as his blade swings towards my temple and I stumble back, catching the blow. "So, you agree with me?"

I snort, shaking my head. "He's a prick. Besides, I don't have the privilege to focus on the prince's good looks. Not when I want to kill the king."

Aston lowers his sword, face paling. "I assume that means you want to give the death blow."

"I want to prepare for the war with the ones beyond the walls, and I want to force the king into the ground," I say through gritted teeth. "If I sparked a series of uprisings, it's my responsibility to lead my people into rebellion."

I stiffen. A pair of footsteps approach us, their figures concealed within the trees. On instinct, we stand with our swords at the ready, peering into the green and grey gloom.

"Don't worry, guys. It's just me," Ruben says, emerging from the shadows, and pushing a branch out of his way.

I let out a groan. "R—I mean Prince Talin, what are you doing here?"

Aston throws me a funny look.

Ruben shifts his uneasy gaze between us. He presses his lips together, blush creeping into his cheeks as he ducks his head for a beat. "I wondered if I could train with you?"

I narrow my eyes, taking in the deep purple bruise, and split on his lip. "Who hit you?"

His eyes flash, and the gurgle of a nearby stream cuts into the painful silence. "I walked into a door."

Aston and I exchange a look. That's when two other voices bound into earshot. Ajax and Killian crash through the thickets and brambles, shoving one another and chortling.

"Can we join too?" Ajax says, out of breath, brushing a couple of leaves from his hair. "We want to strengthen ourselves for the war."

"War," Killian says, dragging out the word. "Makes it sound so much more serious than a bunch of starved Convex following a redheaded girl into the king's palace."

"You could at least try to have some faith, Killian," Ruben snarls, clenching his fists.

Killian's hair ruffles as the wind batters the trees and he crosses his arms. "Look. I want the king gone as much as the next person. But I'm afraid he is always going to be a step ahead of us."

"There are more Convex than Concaves and Tranqs combined," Aston says, pushing his blade back into the scabbard at his waist. "We have the numbers. We only need to drain the king of his resources and overpower him. Remember, the Convex have nothing to lose."

The guilt threatens to eat me alive. "Problem is, the king is trying to put a stop to all acts of rebellion," I say, my voice dry and I gulp, trying to coat my throat, wishing I could drink from the stream. "We can't encourage them to charge right into the palace where the axe awaits them, or the monsters beyond the wall."

Ruben paces back and forth, chewing his lip. "You overheard the king, didn't you?" he says, as his back turns to us. "When you left the... dance lesson."

"Yes. It was hard not to. He didn't exactly whisper." I shove my sword back into the sheath.

"What did he say?" Aston asks.

"He wants to...get the Convex to report any signs of rebel activity," I say, my voice catching in my throat. "In exchange for Concave food."

Killian lets out a huff through his nose. "See? King Talin doesn't let girls from the Convex Sector spark rebellion. He's too... focused on kingdom security."

"Do you want to go kiss the man on the arse cheek while you're at it?" Ajax barks, shaking his head. "I didn't know you were his biggest fan."

"I'm not," Killian seethes through gritted teeth. "I just... don't want anyone getting hurt trying to take him down. No one else has succeeded in killing him. Why do we think we will be the ones to do it?"

I pull my father's dagger from my belt and tighten my brows. "I almost agree with you." Then I turn to Aston, my hands trembling around the dagger. "We must warn the Convex. They must stop this madness."

"And go back to what?" he growls, scarlet flushing his cheeks. "Famine? Misery? Watching their children die from starvation and disease? Meanwhile, you and the prince enjoy a wedding that will cost hundreds of thousands of krunik."

I flinch, sucking in a harsh breath. "So, I just let them charge to their deaths?"

"No, Elle," he says, shaking his head. "They are charging our new world."