13- The Drawing

》《》《

The Drawing

》《》《

IT DIDN'T take me long to remember where and what my situation was the next morning. Guess I was getting used to it. Should that be a good thing?

I sat up and frowned when I noticed Jane fussing around in my room.

"What are you looking for?" I asked, not caring how bitter I sounded.

"Oh, hey! Good morning. No, I was just looking through your art book," she said.

My eyes moved to my art book resting unopened on the table at the other end of the room, far from where she stood, before rolling back to her.

She cast her eyes to what caught my attention before realizing how her statement didn't match up given how far she was from the said art book.

The laughter she let out sounded misplaced and lasted longer than I wanted. My frown only deepened at the nervous energy she was exuding. But she went on, her voice drifting into the tense silence she had caused, "I, uh, really like the child at the park drawing."

"Um okay. Could you please leave?" I said not so politely, even with the 'please'.

"Yeah, sure." She moved to open the door but stopped and veered around.

"I..."

I knew she had something to say.

"Yeah?" I prompted, bristling in my bed when she said nothing at first.

"I'm just gonna ask... Is everything okay?" I tilted my head with eyes narrowed in confusion at her question.

"As in..." I trailed off.

"It's just when you woke up yesterday, you seemed weird. Something was different."

I blinked.

What did she mean? Does she know something related to the reason I'm here? And is that why she noticed? Just like Mrs. Morris. If so, should I listen to her? She might say something like Mrs. Morris and end up—

"Um, I don't know what you're talking about," I said, trying my darndest to mask the undertones of an emotion akin to fear.

As much as I didn't like her, I knew my dad loved her and if she mysteriously died like Mrs. Morris because of me, that would hurt my dad. As much as I didn't want to admit it, that would hurt me, too.

"Okay. Never mind then. If you're sure everything is alright then..."

"Everything is fine," I quipped to erase any doubt she had, following it up with a tight-lipped smile.

Her eyes rested on mine before she sighed.

"Sure. And I'm sorry for waking you up."

"No problem."

That was a lie. I never liked her presence in my space and the questions she had just brought upon my mind set an unease in my gut.

"And you also have an appointment today in case you forgot."

"I'll get ready now... Thanks."

She finally left.

True to my word, I got ready for the hospital visit Dad had planned.

Have you ever felt there was a gathering you did not want to attend and wished the person who invited you would call to cancel? Making your wildest dream at the moment come true.