23- Changes

》《》《

Changes

》《》《

THE DARKNESS was not black. My eyes shot open and my mouth was taking in as much air as it could and letting out much less, like my lungs had been without the vital element.

It took a while to realize that it was the night sky that laid above me and I was on my back looking up at it. Then my eyes started taking in the trees.

Tall trees. It must be a forest. A twig snapped to my right and my eyes widened. I shuffled to get to my feet as I heard more rustling. I steadied myself, eyes wide with alarm as I called out, "Who's there?"

The rustling stopped, but then continued and I began making out someone in the shadows until their form emerged from the trees.

"Clara!"

Jane!

She rushed over and pulled me into a tight hug and my hands moved on their own to return it.

"Oh, my-how did you get here? I just passed this place and I could swear I found nothing here," she said and pulled back to look at me. "We were so worried. We thought someone kidnapped you and-"

"Am I... am I really here? Am I back?"

Though I said it more to myself, Jane replied. "Yes, yes, you are. The others would be so relieved."

She hugged me again in what I thought was for good measure before she pulled back to assess me again like I was some famed treasure.

"I'm so glad you're okay and alive," she said before turning around to call out, "Tony! Tony! I've found her!"

Just as soon as she did, I heard some rustling before Tony came bustling through the trees. His steps ground to a halt when he saw me and even in the darkness, I could see the tears in his eyes before he rushed to us.

Jane stepped aside in time for him to wrap his hands around me, just like I had done to him moments ago.

"Clara, I'm so glad you're okay! I was so scared that we had lost you. I thought it was the same thing all over again when our house burned down."

I stilled and almost didn't recognize my voice when I asked, "What?"

"I'm just happy that you're with us now."

Our house burned down. What was he talking about?

As soon as the question formed, a crackling shot through my head. It was the same one I had felt when I saw my scar on the second chance. Like something was stuffing itself into my head, trying to fight for space that was none existent.

I groaned before I fell to the ground with my hands gripping my head, willing for the incessant voices to seize their chattering. These voices weren't the worry-etched ones of Jane and Tony and my sight wasn't set on the concerned faces of both of them, but people and things I couldn't make sense of.

The world around churned before darkness took over.

》》《《》》《《

The dull throbbing accompanied by a constant beeping that woke me wasn't as painful as the one I experienced before I passed out. I opened my eyes to see white. White roof, white tiles, and I already knew before I looked down that I wore a hospital gown.

Then, I realized that the beeping was coming from the hospital monitor that was beside me. I moved to sit up and heard a movement as I did. That was when my eyes took in my dad.