Chapter 9: Dear Chloe, You Are My Lifeline

Magsimula sa umpisa

Several hours later, in the late hours of the morning, Ali sat in the backseat of Nick's Acura. Chloe sat next to her, leaning on her shoulder. They'd driven all over Rosewood, taking in the sight of everything for the last time: Rosewood Day, their old house in Yarmouth, Hollis, and their old street along the cul-de-sac in Rosewood. As Ali reached over to stroke Chloe's hair, something caught her eye.

Up ahead on the road was a wooden sign that read KEPPLER CREEK STATE PARK. Nick pulled into a space in the parking lot and shut off the engine. A lake shimmered in the distance, but there was no one in the water; it was still too cold. The rental booth was shuttered, and there wasn't a single paddleboat anywhere. Only a few fishermen in Woolrich plaid jackets sat on the other side of the pond, staring at their fishing poles.

Ali got out of the car and surveyed the scene. "It's safe," she said. "No one knows we're here."

Chloe wandered over to a shed where the boats probably were kept, but when she tried the lock, it was bolted tight. "If we can't paddle on the water, what did you want to do instead?"

Ali didn't answer. When Chloe turned around, Ali was standing next to a tall oak tree, its branches still bare. Chloe was probably noticing there was a strange, faraway look on her face.

"What is it?" Chloe asked, walking over to her.

Ali turned. "I used to come here all the time. When Iris and I were at The Preserve together, we found out that she used to come here, too, when she was a lot younger with school friends."

"You came here all the time?" Chloe asked, cocking her head. The DiLaurentises had a bunch of kayaks, but they took them to Pecks Pond, which was much closer to Rosewood. Ali, on the other hand, was the only one who ever came here.

Ali nodded. "I loved it here. I told Iris all about it. I even told her I couldn't wait to come back when I got out of the hospital.

Chloe placed her foot on a tuft of dry grass. "Did you come here after you were released?"

"Definitely." Ali leaned against the tree trunk. "I even made plans. We weren't allowed to watch TV at The Preserve, but we heard things. Even the nurses wanted to know what happened to poor Ali DiLaurentis's sisters. One had a portable radio, and we gathered near her office when the report came in that Ian Thomas had been arrested for planning the murders of both Courtney and you. I got this excited look on my face, and I kept glancing at my watch. My parents are coming, I kept saying to Iris. I just know it. They're coming today. And then I'm going to Keppler Creek Park. I'm sure they had no idea how I knew for sure that I was getting out."

"I know how you knew," Chloe interjected. "Our parents hid her away at The Preserve because they feared you had tried to kill your sisters—which, of course, you didn't. You planned to kill Courtney, though. But when Ian was arrested, they thought they'd made a horrible mistake and immediately had you released."

"That makes sense," Ali said. "I was thrilled that Ian was arrested, too. At the time, Iris thought it was because I was glad someone had gotten caught, but I was just glad that someone else had been pegged for something I was going to do."

"Wait a minute." A brisk wind kicked up, blowing hair into Chloe's face. "Iris didn't know you were going to kill Courtney?"

Ali peered at Chloe through her hood. "No way." She turned back to the tree, chipping away a piece of bark with her nail. "Anyway, our parents did show up that day, just like I predicted. As they were signing paperwork to check me out, I was packing up my stuff in our room. And I mentioned Keppler Creek to Iris again. I was like, This is awesome. I'm going to Keppler Creek as soon as I'm free. I'm going to see my second best friend in the world. I can't wait to see him."