Part V

Unlocking the door, you treaded lightly across the living room to the kitchen, knowing Shae was either still sleeping or getting ready for work. While you definitely wouldn't consider it the walk of shame - you had nothing to be ashamed of - you knew the inevitable conversation with your roommate was fast approaching, and you weren't looking forward to it.

Opening the cabinet quietly, you pulled out the coffee canister and prepared the pot, hoping to at least perk your friend's mood. When you heard her door open, you braced yourself for a scowl or evil eye, but instead, she padded down the hall to the bathroom, not even looking in your direction. With a sigh, you poured yourself a cup of coffee and sat at the counter, inhaling the aroma as your mind began to wander.

Harry had been so sweet that morning, pouting slightly when you'd told him you had to get home and get ready for work. With heavy eyelids, he'd kissed you softly, offering to make you breakfast.

"You've cooked for me plenty," you'd declined with a smile. "Besides, I should probably explain everything to Shae like I'd promised before my shift starts."

When he'd driven you home, he'd pulled you into a deep kiss, causing your head to spin and your insides to melt. Then he'd wished you a pleasant day with a smile, promising to call later.

"Hey," you heard before you saw her.

Clearing your throat and blinking your eyes, you sat up and acknowledged your roommate. "Good morning."

Shae remained with her back to you as she grabbed a mug from the cupboard and poured herself a cup of coffee. Sipping your own, you wondered if she was giving you the cold shoulder, until she finally sighed and muttered, "How was your date?"

"Wonderful...actually," you said, hoping she'd turn to face you.

"Really? Well...I guess I kinda figured that since you stayed out all night. Did you just get home?"

"Yeah," you swallowed.

Finally turning around, Shae looked at you with wide eyes.

"He must be amazing. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted to, Shae. And I should have. It's just...well honestly, I wasn't sure if he was for real at first. Even after he apologized, I couldn't bring myself to accept it right away."

"Wait...back up," your roommate held up her hand. Then taking the stool next to yours, she continued. "Start at the beginning. Like, right after you ran into him at the coffee shop."

"Well, like I told you, he helped me get the job. He vouched for me, told my boss I was the best waitress he'd ever had."

"Right. And I told you you should have kissed him," Shae smirked. "But you thought he had some kind of motive. Or was just feeling guilty."

"Yeah, I was kind of right about that last part," you said, taking a sip of coffee.

"So, what? He kept apologizing or something? Came in and stalked you?"

"No. He's actually a regular at the cafe. Everyone else who works there knows him. He comes in to work on his tablet or laptop. He's an artist. He doesn't just do tattoos."

Shae's mouth dropped open as she stared at you.

"He stays to himself mostly," you continued, "but I quickly realized he's a nice guy. So I went to his shop to talk to him and...he asked me out."

"Oh my God."

"I didn't tell you that night of our first date because...well, like I said...I wasn't sure yet. But we had a nice meal and a long discussion. Turns out he was telling the truth. He was really drunk that night and he feels really bad about the way he treated me."