Prologue || The Story Weaver

974 New Age, Year of Two Suns

IT WAS THE MOON that called him.

Valentina first heard the story when she was a child. It was a tale often quoted to sleepy-eyed little darklings slumped in their parents' arms, gazing through slitted lids at the bonfire flames dancing and writhing against the throbbing night. That had been when they were in the camps, when tents had populated forests from coast to coast and seething shadows had swirled over the hills. The days when the new Luxos King had ascended to the throne, and the Enfatala had sunk half the world in darkness with their rage.

Valentina remembered the story well, for the potent words of a Cidalian witch can never leave the mind. The words are as old and true as time itself; in fact, older and truer, as time stretches and folds until memories become remembered lies. But the words of this woman, a Grandcantora old and broken by the war but with eyes as lively as spring blooms, still lingered, impressed indelibly upon the years. The Story Weaver, they called her, and when she began her tales even the stars crowded in to listen.

The story, stretched worn throughout the millennia, went like this:

Beneath the willow tree, he stands.
Of ragged fatigues, bone flute in his hand,
He whistles at Moon, the song of his kind,
And when he is through, the villagers do find,
By early dawn's ray, the sun stolen away.
And in the river where mothers yet weep—
The bodies of children who don't go to sleep.
Along ravished earth, blood runs thick, sweet,
Shadows fall, a darkness replete.

——

A/N:

Hi! Welcome to Vipersong! This is a first draft of a novel I am working on, and I'm very proud of it. I hope you've enjoyed reading so far. If you have, please consider voting, commenting, and (if you like!) giving me a follow to receive notifications about Vipersong updates and announcements about future releases. Voting, commenting, and following encourages me to post more, and I appreciate each and every show of support!

That's all from me! Thank you so much for picking up my book, and I hope you enjoy Chapter One: Stormbird 💕

(Graphic by -DeeIsDead- )
-L