CHAPTER EIGHT

—Rosalie Cartier—

  "You know, Rosie. I haven't heard from you in a while. I was wondering if you're avoiding me or if you just don't have time for your mother anymore."

I stopped at the house door and I waited for my mother to continue, when she didn't I turned around and faced her. She had some form of tobacco in her hand as the awful smell filled the room. It was funny how she wanted me to stay away from the friends I hung out with but she was just as bad as they were. What a hypocrite.

  "I have to get to school and I have to drop Sammy off after that. By the time I get home you will be at work, I don't understand where you think I can fit time in to spend with you mother. Especially, when I would rather be at school than talking to you." I assured her,

She looked at me weirdly as if she had something to say but was scared to say it. The bitter smell of smoke passed through my nose as I almost choked as the poisoned air clogged my lungs.

  "Are you getting smart with me?" She asked,

I didn't see how anything I just said was smart. It was more of me telling her the truth and speaking my mind. What was good about having a voice if I couldn't use it? It was useless; that's what it was.

Before I could answer her dumb question, my brother ran into the room with his book bag on. He was ready to go and so was I. As long as he was around, My mother wouldn't throw a fit about anything. That's what I liked about having a baby brother. Creating my brother was the most sane thing my mother has ever done.

  "I'm ready to go." He says with a bright smile,

My mother gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before smiling at him. When he walked over to the door with his back turned, she shot me a glare and rolled her eyes. Honestly, I didn't know what I did to her.

I sighed before leaving the house. Zackery was here waiting for me by the curb of my house. Luckily he had my lovely girlfriend with him. I was happy to see her, I knew she was waiting to hear what traumatizing thing I went to today. It was like a daily thing.

My brother was the first one in the car out of us both. He sat in the back with Emily and Joshua like he did the other day and I sat in the front seat. Emily was the first one to greet me when she pecked me on the cheek as soon as I got into the car. Zackery on the other hand was disgusted as always.

I truly didn't get him, I mean he would do the same thing with Alona, So what was the problem with Emily and I? There was no problem, he was just being a jerk.

  "So, what are we going to do after school? There's no practice around this time today and I don't want to stay in the house getting high, there's more to life than that."

I shook my head before Zackery and him engaged into a conversation. The whole car ride they were debating on going bowling or if they should just go to a park and shoot some hoops. I felt like going to the basketball court and just chilling after that meant they were going to get high.

If I had a vote, I would say they should go to an arcade or something. I haven't been to those since I was a kid. It would be fun to live moments like that again.

  "Why don't we go to the carnival downtown, they are doing a fundraiser for the little kids and I hear it's going to be fun." Emily suggests,

I smiled at her idea before nodding along with it letting them know I agreed with her. To my surprise they agreed too. Actually, they agreed so much to the point where Zackery even pointed out that he was planning on asking Alona if she wanted to tag along.

Joshua mentioned that he was going to ask Delilah and I just tuned the rest of his words out. The mention of her name made me think back to the cabin. Did she know that I knew? Or was she just as clueless as Oliver?