Act 2 - Chapter 36: Cithara

Start from the beginning

"It is," Livia answers.

The Doc inserts the memory card on to a slot on the side of her computer and browses the contents. She opens a video file revealing the scene where Octavia and her cohorts confronted Ari and at an area resembling a rooftop in the point of view of Mathilde. Yet, something seems strange about this recording. The obvious thing is everything is in monochrome — a white building with figures depicted in shades of gray. Nothing distinguishes friend or foe. Just gray battling gray. 

Yet, two figures seem to distinguish themselves. One is of Ari but clothed in a white sanctified robe with gold trimmings and holding a gold staff — the same attire as Octavia's. She's standing where Octavia would be in a normal vision. A distance away is Gunhild, ready for battle with her triggerblade out and engaged. Compared to actual events, Gunhild is standing where Ari should be. 

Mathilde enters the fray and engages Gunhild with a flurry of disciplined punches and kicks, metal clashing against metal. Then a heavy shake as a giant and menacing gray figure attacks Mathilde, which she parries with her metal fists. Then a brilliant light flashes and the video ends in static. 

"Interesting," Dr. Williams says. "Why is Ari dressed in an Eyes cultist uniform? Also, was Gunhild ever present in this skirmish?"

"I can explain," I say, pointing at the distinguished figures in the recording. "The Maestro's Mask alters the vision of the wearer based on their personal affinities towards certain people. You might notice many figures appear as gray, faceless individuals. That is because the Maestro's Mask does not perceive them as friend nor foe — the only noise that needs filtering to get to Mathilde's primary target. However, the Maestro's Mask perceives Octavia as an ally, but instead of seeing Octavia in her normal form, the mask draws upon Mathilde's thoughts of people who have made a positive impact on her life. In this example, it is Ari who appears in Octavia's place."

"And Gunhild is a negative influence, yes?" The Doc inquires.

"Indeed," I nod. "The Maestro's Mask perceives Ari as a threat and transforms her into Gunhild even though Gunhild proper never appeared during the skirmish with The Eyes cultists."

"So the simplest way to put it is it alters Mathilde's vision?"

"Yes."

"Yo, hold up," Samza interjects. "If that's what that mask does, then does Gunhild, Octavia, or any of those Eyes goons know about what Mathilde sees through that thing?"

"Not at the moment," I say. "Though, I'm certain Octavia will find out once her team of tinkerers begin reverse-engineering the Maestro's Mask and Dream Recorder." I pause for a second, gritting my teeth. "However, once Gunhild notices the results from the Maestro's Mask, I think she'll be furious and put Mathilde through an assortment of psychological abuse."

Mezos adjusts his glasses and adds, "or worse. Gunhild and Octavia could turn Mathilde into one of those nightmarish freaks."

Livia turns around and leaves the office. "I need to go. I have personal matters to deal with." 

Dr. Williams waves. "Take care, Livia, and safe travels."

Soon after Livia steps out of the door, Ari enters, looking somewhat groggy while wearing a white untucked buttoned shirt and khakis. "Hey," Ari greets. "Where's Livia going? Looks like she's in a hurry to be somewhere."

"I'm uncertain," Dr. Williams answers. "While I wish this is nothing brazen, my intuition tells me she's going after her sister. A bold act, all things considered."

I recall watching previous WarGames matches where Ari's Neon City Valkyries took on the Brick City Sirens. Livia sure had a knack for engaging in high-level espionage tasks against the Valkyries. A master spy, I'd say, but if she's going to go after her sister in a facility infested by those nightmares — Livia is insane.