Chapter 19

Days, or perhaps weeks, passed, and I finally awoke, a burst of panic overcoming me. Did I hurt someone? Did she take over again? Will I walk out only to find everyone gone? To answer my questions, I got out of bed, dressing in the black dress I had worn before. I stepped out into the rest of the shop slowly, frightened of what I might find. I didn't find anything that would have scared me. I only found Undertaker talking with Ciel and Sebastian. Ciel was angry and Undertaker seemed alright.

Everyone seemed happy enough, and I was the one standing back, not a part of any of it. I was just about to walk back to the room when Sebastian saw me. He spoke quietly to Ciel, then walked to me. Undertaker continued talking with Ciel.

"Something upsetting you?" he asked, surprising me. I shook my head, then stopped, saying, "Perhaps, but I shouldn't bother him." Sebastian looked at me, concern showing. I ignored the look and went to Undertaker, touching his shoulder gently. He jumped a bit and looked at me. The smile he gave me broke my heart. It was filled with love, something I never thought I'd see from anyone again.

"You're finally awake. I was beginning to worry," he said, holding the hand on his shoulder. I shook my head, saying, "You don't have to worry about me, I'm fine." I sat on the ground in front of him, my dress spread around me like a pit of darkness.

"You could have woken me up when you left," Ciel said. "Even though you left a note, you could've woken me up." He looked at me, nothing but boredom playing on his face. I shrugged, laying my head in Undertaker's lap, wanting to block out the noise. Undertaker understood and he stroked my hair, saying, "Is that all you needed, Lord Earl?" Ciel nodded and stood, Sebastian already at the open door.

As soon as they left, Undertaker tilted my face up to look at him. "Nicu, are you alright? You seem upset." I glanced away, not wanting him to see my eyes. "Nicu, please, I'm frightened for you." I turned my body so I was facing my love.

"Everyone is these days, although I suppose you should be saying frightened of me, not for me." I gave him a bitter smile. "I wouldn't mind if everyone left me anyway. No one's here for me." Undertaker's faint smile faded, he appeared hurt. He started to say my name, but I stood, blocking all the noise out. I started to leave the shop, walking across the street. I heard a yell, turned, and saw a carriage coming at me. I screamed, closing my eyes, bracing for pain.

I never felt it. Instead, I felt strong arms around me, holding me on the ground. I opened my eyes, my whole body trembling, and saw Undertaker holding me tightly, fear in his eyes.

"Are you alright?!" His voice seemed muted for a moment, then it got louder as he repeated his question. "Nicu, are you alright?!" I felt myself nod, then I wrapped my arms around Undertaker's waist, bursting into tears. Through my tears, I said, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!" Undertaker tilted my chin up, his now visible eyes meeting mine.

"Nicu?" I looked at him, tears falling down my face, the warmth of Undertaker soothing my nerves. "If no else is there for you, then you know what?"

"What?"

"I am here."