Chapter 12

I awoke the next morning, still wrapped up in the arms of a madman. He was not yet awake, so I kissed his cheek and unwrapped myself from his gentle grip. I got changed quickly and quietly, as I still had the dress from last night on. I changed into a black dress. It was difficult to tighten the strings without help, but I managed. I went out into the shop, still a bit tired.

I decided to go get Undertaker and I food from the nearby market. I walked outside and it was freezing, but I didn't go back outside to get a jacket. Instead, I imagined a black jacket on myself along with tight black gloves. Once I was warm enough, I walked to the market, a purse in my hand. Before long, there were people rushing all around me as I wandered the market, searching for something for Undertaker and I to eat tonight.

I found a vendor selling spell books and immediately became interested. That has become my weakness, other than Undertaker. I can't go anywhere that has the word magic, sorcery, or spells to do with it. If I do, I always purchase something. Unfortunately, it is usually false or damaged.

I wandered over to the vendor, asking, "May I look through?" The vendor nodded, gesturing towards a few items. I found a book claiming to be "Necromancy Control". If it happened to be real, it would help me with my Necromancy state. I opened it, feeling a rush of cold through my spine. It was real.

I continued looking through the items, the book in hand. I ended up purchasing a red amulet to help with Pyromancy-it appeared to have a trapped flame inside-, an obsidian bracelet to aid in my Necromancy, and, of course, the book. I paid for all of it, the vendor giving me a look. I shrugged and the vendor smiled a bit, handing me something wrapped up in cloth. I started to say thank you, but people began to push past me, and I was forced to continue on.

I got back to the shop about an hour later, yet Undertaker was still asleep. There was a sign up in the window, though, so he must have woken up at some point. The sign read "Closed", and I assumed it was his day off. I opened the door and immediately shivered. It was as cold, if not colder, inside the shop than outside.

"Undertaker! Get up! It is already ten o'clock in the morning, dear!" I shouted, holding all my items carefully. I heard what sounded like a whine, then a small crash. "Undertaker?" I began walking to the bedroom, only to find Undertaker sitting on the ground, his treat jar broken and chipped on the ground. Undertaker yawned and looked up at me. He smiled sleepily, then looked back at his jar.

"Oops," he said, going to pick up the pieces. I sighed, brought my hand up, and, using my magic, I repaired the jar, making it appear as though nothing had happened to it. "Thank~ you, dear~," he yawned, picking up the jar and standing up. "You~ went to~ the market~?" he asked, looking at the big book and the small box containing my other items. I nodded, laying it all down on the bed. I was still holding the item wrapped up in cloth. Undertaker tilted his head at this one, asking what it was. I shrugged at him.

"I'm not entirely sure. The vendor at the stall handed it to me when I bought all this," I replied, starting to unwrap it. I nearly dropped it; it was a small journal with the words "Spells, in case you need them" scratched onto the front. My initials were on the first page, so I knew it wasn't chance I had received this. I flipped through the pages, my heart sinking with every spell. They were all exorcisms, possessions, demonic-related spells, and anything to do with death, demons, or spirits. Things only my Necromancy state used. That and a state I never spoke of.

"Nicu~? Are you~ alright~? You seem~ pale~." Undertaker had stood up, and was now holding my hand, a worried look on his face. I nodded slowly, holding the journal close to myself, the cold feeling from earlier returning.