a new beginning // final part

Picture: Lucía Hernandez.

James' POV

The room was buzzing. Not just with conversation, but with loud laughter and banter too. I don't ever remember the team being this hyped up about an emergency meeting. But then again, I guess being in an exotic country tends to do that to people.

"What did your wife say after that text on the plane, Marcelo?" Sergio reached out to flick his teammate's head jokingly.

"She wasn't too happy about it..." Marcelo shot him a dirty glare. Sergio laughed and shrugged his shoulders. He was always this problematic.

Just when Ronaldo was about to make another loud statement in Portuguese, Carlo walked in with a stack of papers in his hand and an official-looking person behind him.

The room fell silent.

"Who died?" Carlo joked as he scanned our expectant faces.

That broke the ice a little but everyone was still curious as to why he called us here for a meeting in the middle of the day. The only thing scheduled for today was a small charity event we needed to attend, but that was tonight.

Carlo's face turned serious and we all held our breaths.

"I called you here today for a topic that I've spoken to a few of you about..."

And that was when I knew exactly what he was talking about. I sunk back in my seat, feeling my heart pound harder and faster in my chest. I haven't given his offer a single thought from the day we landed here, and I was instantly regretting it.

"And that topic is relationships." He dropped the bomb.

Everyone, except me, breathed a sigh of relief. Why wouldn't they? There were already engaged or happily married. They didn't have to worry about a single thing. I suddenly felt like it was my fault everyone was wasting their time here when they could be out exploring the city and doing other important things.

"What about relationships?" Toni asked.

"Yeah," Iker chimed in, a little concerned. "What about them?"

"Well, I came here to address one person specifically." Exactly when those words left his mouth, all eyes in the room landed on me. I felt my face getting hotter and my palms getting sweatier. This can not be happening right now.

'Why couldn't he just speak to me separately?' I thought. 'Why did I have to get humiliated in front of my teammates?

"Relax, kiddo." Chuckled Bale once he saw my flustered expression. "You'll find someone soon. You're a late bloomer, is what they call it. I think."

You think.

"James, I've spoken to you about this before, and I've given you loads of opportunities to pick a girl, and fast."

It isn't that easy.

I remained silent.

"So now you have activated the consequences," My heart nearly stopped in my throat. I didn't want to hear what he was going to say next, I dreaded it more than anything.

Everyone around me looked at me with pity, like I was a sick, lost puppy.

Carlo nodded to the official-looking man from earlier and the man spoke into a wireless microphone from his collar.

Suddenly, the door to the room opened and in walked a stunning woman in her early twenties. Her sleek jet black hair framed her delicate features perfectly and fell just suitably below her shoulders. Her striking green eyes diverted towards the floor in embarrassment as she made her way to stand next to Carlo and the man.

"James," Carlo continued. "Meet your new girlfriend, Lucia Hernandez."