if i die tonight

A/N: This is a teaser chapter. I won't be updating until maybe a week. Thanks for reading.
_________________________

"Just trust me, please?" Carter pleaded at me with desperate eyes.

I didn't move an inch. I couldn't. Kerensky was right in the next room, and his sidemen were going to break the door down any second now. If they found us here, any chances of Carter and I making it out alive would be completely vanished.

He'll shoot his guns, search a now dead Carter, grab his money, and then shoot us again. Just like that.

I must have stayed paralyzed for a really long time before Carter grabbed my shoulders with both his hands and gave me a shake.

"Mia, now is not the time for second thoughts. We have to do this, now!" He whispered fiercely. His eyes frantically searched my face.

Wordlessly and still numb, I took out my phone and handed it over to him.

"Please," I croaked, trembling. "You do it."

He wasted no time in grabbing the phone and dialing 911.

Outside the room, the commotion got louder. Kerensky and his men were done searching the other hotel rooms, and were headed for ours. My heart pounded loudly in my chest, drowning out Carter's worried voice on the phone and the banging happening next door.

"I know you're in there somewhere!" Kerensky himself yelled with another bang. I closed my eyes shut tightly and tried to focus on the safety of Carter's body next to mine.

It's okay, I thought. Carter's here. Nothing will happen.

"Go check the window," Carter almost yelled. "There will be a ladder. Climb down and don't worry about me."

Suddenly, the door bursted open and about a dozen big men dressed in black barged into the room, pointing their guns at us.

Adrenalin surged through me as I climbed over the window and held tight unto the ladder that was extended from the ground to the floor we were in.

"Carter, let's go!" I yelled, but it was of no use. Shouts and banging was the only thing I heard from the room.

"Mia, just climb down!" He yelled as one of the men grabbed him by the collar and slammed him into the wall. I heard Carter's agonizing cry of pain and indescribable fear rushed through my body.

Shaking, I climbed down the stairs that were provided by the S.W.A.T team waiting for me on the ground. All the while I was climbing down, I was mentally kicking myself for being so selfish and leaving Carter behind. What would they have done to him by now?

I didn't know. I didn't want to know. I couldn't think clearly. My mind was fogged up when I reached the bottom stair. Immediately, an officer wrapped a blanket around me and escorted me to the nearest ambulance. He kept on telling me reassuring things, but I never listened.

I sat down on the ambulance bed and watched the disaster unfold in front of my eyes. If tears were streaming down my face, I wouldn't know. Police cars were hurriedly pulling up to the scene, big GMC cars that belonged to top detectives soon followed after. There was already a crowd of curious bystanders forming around the police tape that was fastened all around the scene.

It all felt like a horrible dream. Maybe if I tried really hard, I could wake up and find myself back in my own cosy bed. But I tried. And I still could see the cops and hear sirens. I was in a living nightmare.

Then, I heard it.

Gunshot. A sharp, deadly bang.

"Man down!" Someone yelled.

And that was all it took.