blitzkrieg

Picture: Vera (Ginnifer Goodwin)

Carter

"So I guess this is it?" I said as I stuffed my hands inside my pockets and rocked slightly on my heels. Vera shrugged and looked around the waiting area of her terminal gate.

"I guess this is it." She confirmed.

It was late Wednesday night, nearly 12 AM. The airport was surprisingly empty which made the check-in procedures a breeze.

Vera was flying back to Helsinki after two short weeks spent here in Los Angeles. She only had a brief holiday before she needed to return to her accounting firm to make it back in time for the hectic tax season.

"Passengers flying to Helsinki International Airport Flight EY633 please proceed to the check-in counter for boarding." The speakers blared.

"Thanks for stopping by, really. It's been great seeing you again." I said genuinely. She enveloped me in a tight hug in response.

"Don't worry too much about Mia, Carter. When the right time comes, everything will fall back into place again." She whispered into my ear before pulling away completely.

"Take care, Vera."

"I will." She shot me a confident smile and slung her backpack on her shoulder. I watched her disappear into the gate, her advice still echoing inside my head.

I sighed and exited the airport parking lot and immediately spotted my car.

Just as I was about to open the car door, a rough hand grabbed my throat and forcefully lurched me to the nearest wall. I slammed my head against the brick-hard solid, which sent excruciating pain throbbing through my head. The grip tightened around my throat and my entire body contracted at the lack of oxygen.

"Where's Kerensky's money, pretty boy?" Sneered a spiteful voice I didn't recognize. He was breathing heavily and had terrible breath that reeked of alcohol.

I clawed at his stubborn hands that were securely fastened around my throat. It was clear that this man didn't have any plans of letting me go anytime soon.

I pulled my knee back, and with all my force kicked his crotch area as hard as humanly possible. The man howled and let go of my throat. Fresh air filled my lungs and I immediately recovered from the excruciating pain before he did.

He was still rolling on the floor in extreme agony, clutching his abdomen. Serves him right.

I balled my hand up into a fist and sucker-punched him straight on the jaw. A sick cracking sound echoed through the empty parking lot and I grimaced from the aftermath the blow caused to my hand. I shook off my knuckles and cracked my neck.

The man's pain only worsened as he doubled up and choked in pain. He didn't realized he messed with the completely wrong person. I decided that I wasn't going to attack any further, because then I would have used my training and that would have ended this sad bastard right then and there.

Instead, I pretended to walk towards him threateningly, as if I was about to throw one more fatal blow. He pulled himself up and scrambled out of the parking lot as fast as lightening.

I watched him run for his pathetic life as I rubbed my sore neck. Kerensky needed to stop playing this silly game.

"Next time, come and fight me yourself you cowardly bastard!" I shouted to no one in particular. My voice echoed throughout the deserted parking lot. I was still positive that he was out there, monitoring his drones. Waiting for the right moment to play his Joker card.