i knew you were trouble when you walked in

James

"Oh, I'm so thankful you came!" Mia greeted me with a very welcoming hug. I didn't know how to react to the sudden intimate gesture, so I hugged back just as tight. She smelled really nice, as well. Like blooming jasmine flowers and a touch of vanilla.

Her body had the perfect shape and height for a hug. It was as if both our bodies slotted together almost ideally, like the final two pieces of a puzzle that completed the picture.

I was actually willing not to let go until she did first. But at that time, my puzzle picture was complete.

We pulled apart after a very long time. She gave me a soft smile, and I gave her one right back. I was still warm from her delicate body against mine, and my chest had this slight buzzing sensation but, only one thing was clear: she gave the best hugs in the universe.

"Come on in!" She ushered me inside her apartment once we've recovered from the intense wave of emotion.

She lived in a really nice place. Very homey and minimal, but also strikingly modern as well. Although, it is quite big... I wonder if she gets as lonely as I get sometimes. Her apartment smelled exactly like she did, but this time with a touch of Rosemary scent and fresh laundry. The sweet air filled my lungs.

I followed her lead to the living room where we sat down. I noticed that she didn't have a lot of pictures up, only small ones here and there.

"I'm so glad you could make it, the traffic tonight is deadly." She told me as she crossed one leg over the other. A simple, feminine gesture, but it still got me feeling some type of way.

"Yeah, absolutely." I gulped nervously. I've mad an entire list of things and topics I would ask her about to keep the conversation going, but now that I'm actually with here, my brain decided to delete everything.

"So, what do you want to d-" Her phone rang, interrupting her from her sentence. "I'm so sorry. Can I get this?" She asked me apologetically.

"Sure, go ahead." I nodded.

"Hello? Lola? Oh... What? I totally forgot! I'm so sorry!" Mia's expression changed to instant guilt. After a while, she bit her lip and looked at me thoughtfully.

"You know what," she said, eyes still glued to me. "I'll be there in a few seconds."

I thought that her eye contact with me was her trying to indirectly tell me that she wanted me out because something more important came up. Without really thinking it through, I stood up and willed to leave.

"Okay, great. I'll see you." She said her last words down the line before closing it. "Okay, so as I was saying- hey, why are you leaving?" Mia asked, springing up.

"But you're busy?" I didn't want to come off as rude especially now, but I admit, I did feel a bit betrayed.

"No, no silly! You're coming with me." Mia poked my cheek and pulled me back into the living room. I didn't object.

"Where?" I asked as I sat back down.

"To my friend's dinner." Mia answered confidently, as if my arrival was assured.

"I don't think I should..." I tried to reason with her but she had none of it.

"I want you to meet her. She's a very good friend of mine, and I think you'll get along well because she goes to your gym." Mia explained to me.

I eased up a little. This idea didn't seem so bad, even though I was completely not expecting it. I thought we were just going to chill, order in and get to know each other better. At least, that's what she told me on the phone.

But I didn't mind at all. In fact, it was actually an opportunity for me to get some more insight about her as a person and the type of people she hangs out with. I wonder what title she'll use to introduce me in... Friend? Client? Acquaintance?

I didn't want to get ahead of my thoughts, so I just focused on giving Mia the most genuine smile I could muster.

"Alright. That sounds like fun."

She clapped her hands excitedly in response. "Yay! You're the best."

A warm feelings spread through my chest at seeing her with this much joy. Her excitement was contagious, and I couldn't help but look even more forward to this dinner tonight.

"I'm going to go and quickly change. Please, make yourself at home." Mia told me before making her way upstairs and into her room.

I didn't want to do anything too nosy, so I just settled for inspecting the previous pictures on her wall with more detail.

I clasped my hands behind my back and made my way to the only wall that wasn't scarce.

The first few pictures were common. There was a picture of her with another female. They were in a beautiful park, and they both looked extremely happy. I guessed that was her best friend.

The next couple of pictures were solo portraits of family members, most of them male and dressed in soldier's uniforms. The females were dressed in elegant 80's dresses. I could tell she came from a long line of respected ancestors.

I was just about to inspect a picture of Mia with another male person that looked alarmingly familiar, but her rapid footsteps coming down the stairs interrupted me.

"That was too quick," I joked as I took in the sight of her. She wasn't dressed too formal, but still strikingly and beautifully casual. It made my heart do this weird flip that I've never experienced before.

"I know," she laughed. If she noticed that I was totally inspecting her personal pictures, she didn't tell me. Instead, she walked past me and grabbed her handbag.

I was aware of the fact that she was slowly luring me in... But the problem was, I didn't know what she was luring me into. Was it her precious personality that attracted me? Her intoxicating gaze? Her flaring confidence that radiated? Her warm touch that instantly heals? I didn't know, and it was making me very dizzy.

I wanted to be careful to take things slow, but how could I when I only had two weeks left here? I wished so badly for more time, just about a week or so, to allow my feelings for her to grow even further and maybe that can help me confess to her what I've been really feeling deep down inside.

But, truth is, even I didn't even know what this indescribable feeling I get when I'm with her is.

"So, are we ready?" Mia asked me as I walked up behind her to the door.

"More than ever," I replied. I was just about to open the door for the both of us when another person on the other side already beat me to it.

"Hey Mia, I just came to quickly-" He trailed off once his eyes landed on me. They were stern; cold. He was holding a stack of important-looking papers in one hand two lattes in the other.

I had no idea how to react to his presence. I never thought I'd see him again after that unfriendly encounter with him outside the gym. I hoped and prayed that Mia had nothing to do with this guy, as he looked like nothing but trouble.

I heard Mia cuss under her breath, and I clutched my jaw. I didn't know why, but I felt an undeniably strong urge to sucker punch him in the jaw.

Mia, on the other hand, had other plans.

"Carter, hey..."