skinny love?

"I'm going to kill you." I whispered in Lola's ear as I slid into the empty seat next to her. James came and sat next to me quietly.

"Who is this?" Lola purred, ignoring my threat and eyeing James discreetly.

"He's-"

"Hush, I obviously know who he is, what I meant was, what is he doing here? Not that I'm complaining, or anything." Lola's eyes were still glued to a now uncomfortable James.

"I invited him over." Was my reply. I fiddled nervously with the hem of a fancy paper tissue on display.

"I am forever thankful for our friendship." Lola said. I rolled my eyes.

"Aren't you with Dylan? Where is he?" I asked.

"He's working late. And there's nothing wrong in sneaking in on some eye candy once in a while." Was Lola's reply.

The rest of the table was too busy buzzing with polite conversation to notice this awkward trio. Most of the guests were posh people I didn't know, but there were three or four important firm executives that I recognized immediately. Why hasn't Lola told me this was a strictly formal dinner? I felt very underdressed.

"So," James spoke up for the first time since we sat down.

"How do you and Mia know each other?" Lola hurried to ask.

"Well," he smiled. "I was her client. She lawyered for me through a drug scandal." James gave her a little too much information, but for some reason I trusted where he was going with this. It was Lola, after all. And not Melissa.

Lola's eyes turned from smitten to wide in a matter of seconds as realization dawned upon her features.

"You mean the Envigado case?" Lola took turns in gaping at James and I. I didn't know how to feel towards her reaction... Proud? Embarrassed? Humble?

"No way! I was actually an intern when Mia was working on it. We all marveled at her when she cracked the case because she was literally two weeks old!" The spark of excitement Lola had could not go missed, and I found myself drowning in embarrassment. I've never been complimented about my work this much.

"I could imagine. She really loves what she does." James looked directly at me when he said his words, but I didn't know what emotion his eyes held because my head was hung low.

"Aw, you're blushing!" Lola poked my cheek, laughing.

"Not a chance," I lifted my head up stubbornly. Stupid mistake, I knew I was as red as a tomato and a strawberry combined.

"Lola, tell us about your recent case. The one with the psycho wife?" An elegant member of the executive board, Meredith Garner, spoke up.

"She was insane! So a couple of weeks ago..." Lola launched into full-scale story mode with the entire table listening intently.

I sighed in relief at the distraction. James seemed to notice, because he fidgeted slightly in his chair to get my attention.

"Your friend seems very nice." He told me.

"I'm sorry, she can be a bit crazy sometimes." I smiled and looked down.

"Not at all." James said.

I lifted my head up to look around the diner. There was hardly anyone, and our table was the only one laughing and making a big scene in the scarce restaurant.

"You know what?" James said, out of nowhere. I waited for him to go on.

"It's a shame Carter decided to bail. I would have kicked him dead otherwise." James' previously relaxed posture suddenly stiffened at the topic of Carter.

"Why do you hate him so much?" I looked up properly into his eyes for the first time. This time, not only did butterflies erupt in my stomach, but in my chest as well. It was overwhelming what once glance can do to me.

James set his jaw and looked away from me just as our eyes met.

"He just has this arrogance, you know?" James told me. "And he's nothing but trouble, I can guarantee you that."

Both of James' points were spot on correct, and although I felt the very weird need to stand up for Carter, I couldn't. What arguments would I use against the fact that Carter is arrogant? He does his job very well, and he makes sure everyone around him damn knows it. Also, how would I defend the fact that Carter's trouble? Everything that he's done in the past five years begged to not differ.

"You're right, but he's not that bad. Sure, he's heavily flawed, but everything will clear out once you get to know him." I am such a hypocrite. I couldn't believe the words coming out of my own mouth. Why did I feel a strong impulse to say that? It ruined everything.

I could tell James was thinking the same thing too, because he just stared at me with a slight frown and a deflated look in his eyes.

"What do you mean? Don't you hate him or something?" He asked me as his eyes searched my face rapidly.

"Or something..." I mumbled under my breath. I really wanted to stop talking for the rest of the night, as I didn't want to cause any more damage.

Unfortunately, James seemed to have heard me, because he sighed agitatedly and looked away. I did the same, as I couldn't stand the awkwardness.

Why was he so bothered about Carter and I? It baffled me, but I think I knew the reason why.

"Can we get the bill, please?" I heard Lola call out to an approaching waiter. At her call, the entire table erupted in a chorus of "Oh no, you're not paying anything!" And "Darling, it's all on me!"

"Excuse me, ma'am," the waiter said as he started to clear up the table. "But the bill has already been paid."

A wave of confused chatter echoes through the table.

"Who paid?" Meredith asked the waiter incredulously above the noise. I guessed she wanted to be the one to pay so that she could show off her wealth.

"I believe it was this kind sir," the waiter replied, pointing directly at a departing James.

I heard Lola say something behind me, but I was too busy getting up from the table and catching up with James.

"Where are you going?" I asked breathlessly when I've caught up with him in the parking lot.

"Home. Do you want me to drop you off?" His eyes were deprived of emotion.

"Are you mad at me?" I ignored his offer and cut straight to the point.

"I'm just really confused, who is he, Mia?" James asked as he walked closer to me, but made sure not to look me in the eyes.

"He... He's just... It's very complicated," I sighed in defeat. I didn't have the energy to bear this much emotional pain.

"You guys dated, didn't you?" James asked. The question came out sharp.

I pursed my lips and nodded silently. My heart contracted painfully in my chest. I just spilled more than half of what I intended to reveal, to a person that I just met fourteen days ago.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He said in a weak voice.

"I didn't think it mattered." Was my immediate response.

"These kind of things matter, a lot." It was as if he was chastising me for breaking his favorite trophy or something.

"It's over now. It's completely over, you have no idea how different things are now." I pleaded truthfully.

He looked away from me.

"Thanks for tonight. I'm going to take a taxi home." He turned around, heading towards the curb.

I wanted to call out after him, to tell him to wait, but my tongue felt heavy in my mouth and wouldn't move. I wasn't paralyzed, I was just shocked to the point of immobility.

"Is that what you really think?" I heard another familiar voice speak up behind me.

I whipped around to come face to face with the only person who I would rather die than see that night.