Nox opened his eyes and looked around him. Hemlock stood next to him, his cyan eyes alight in curiosity. They seemed to be standing in an open field, above them were stars and nebulae, but Nox knew that they would be unfamiliar to Hemlock, for they were not of the Physical Existence. Every time Nox made it to the entrance of The Under, the scenery changed. Last time he had been in a castle, an endless array of chambers and hallways. Another time he had been in a boiling desert, with dunes as large as mountains and no water in sight. This time... the field was open, endless, and moonless. Somehow, this was worse... much, much worse. And it made Nox suspicious.

"We need to find The Door. Quickly!" Nox said and ran in one direction.

"What door? You mean we're not in the Underworld?" Hemlock protested, as if it had been tiring work getting here. Nox glared at him and shook his head.

"No. We have to find The Door." he heard Hemlock sigh. "What? Did you think it'd be easy to get there? Please... the Gods make it so much harder than it needs to be. And for good reason." Nox replied and walked away from Hemlock, the grass was at least waist high, silky and tickling his exposed skin.

"Well... what the hell are we supposed to be looking for?" Hemlock asked, exasperated. Nox stopped and pivoted, annoyance filled his bones.

"A... door!" he seethed at Hemlock.

"No shit! I was just trying to help!" His voice cascaded around them but echoed in the distance. "What does the door look like? Is it huge? Is it made of fucking wood? Does it have a doorbell-?" Hemlock shouted sarcastically but Nox put a finger to his lips.

"I hear an echo." Nox whispered. "Yell at me again." Butterflies filled his stomach as Hemlock grinned, staring at him with his stunning azure eyes.

"Of course, there's an echo..." but then Hemlock stopped and raised an eyebrow. Finally, he was catching on. There was nothing in this field for their voices to bounce off of. Nothing, except a door, perhaps. "AHHHHH!" Hemlock bellowed, and Nox laughed. He ran in the direction of the echo, Hemlock hot on his heels. As they ran, Nox looked behind him and saw that Hemlock was beaming, a smile was spread across his lips, his baby blue eyes reflecting the rainbow nebulae that shone above them in the sky. His hands were spread out on either side of his torso, catching the golden-green grass that passed through his fingertips. Nox felt his heart twinge with Hemlock, he wished this happiness could last, and that when they returned to the surface that they could start something together, but he knew it was not going to end that way. Nox turned his attention forward and felt a wave of energy stop him in his tracks.

"I feel it..." Hemlock sighed, breathless from running and slowed to a walk beside Nox. Nox grinned and nodded at his companion.

"Clever; I'd say your senses are improving." He said and walked with his hands outstretched. "But can you find it?"

"I can try..." Hemlock murmured and mirrored Nox, with his hands extended out in front of him, as if feeling through the darkness for someone. His eyes were shut, and his thick brow was furrowed in concentration. Nox noticed that the tattoos on Hemlock's arms seemed to pulsate, and suddenly, his hand rested upon something solid. Hemlock's eyes flew open and slowly, a large door rippled into appearance before them. It was made of bones, vines, and thorns. Above it was an inscription; 'mors tua, vita mea'.

"Your death, My life. After you," Nox gestured forward, inclining his head. He saw Hemlock hesitate, having an internal battle. He raised a shaky hand and pushed upon the door with his fingertips. At his touch, it opened, welcoming them to a world of utter darkness.

"Nox?" Hemlock exclaimed, his voice brimming with fear.

"I'm here. I'm right here." Nox followed him, letting the door slam behind them. He clasped Hemlock's hand tightly in his, trying to reassure him.

Indigo Shadow - HemlockOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara