C H A P T E R 28

C H A P T E R 28 - F L Y

"Thank the gods we had a plan!" Simbelmynë yelled behind her, aiming it at the dwarf climbing higher up.

"We have a plan!" he screamed back, "just run!"

The elf huffed, pumping her arms harder as she bolted down the long hall into another room. She ran as fast as she could and for good reason.

Because Smaug was on her heels.

"Here! You witless worm!" Thorin challenged, yelling at the great beast from above. He stood on a ledge, grasping a hanging chain for balance, "I am taking back what you stole!"

"You will take nothing from me dwarf. I laid low your warriors of old, I instilled terror in the hearts of men. I am king under the mountain!" Smaug screeched back, stalking towards the dwarf.

"This is not your kingdom. These are dwarf lands, this is dwarf gold and we will have our revenge! Igritu zû!" With a shout of his native tongue, the dwarves behind the pillar pulled, the pillar toppling. Thorin jumped for another chain, grasping it just in time, pulling himself up. As the stone pillar fell

Thorin yanked on a rope, pulling a chain and grabbing onto another pulling himself higher as the platform beneath his feet crumbled. It unveiled the purest, brightest gold Simbelmynë had ever seen, a statue of pure dwarfish gold.

The golden statue lit up like a beacon, drawing in the dragon like a moth to a flame. It stood perfectly for mere moments before gushing, bubbling and distorting, and then like water and waves it fell. It dropped quickly, falling onto the dragon and covering its large form.

It was almost haunting how quickly the gold covered the beast before completely covering the floor in a sheet of liquid shine.

It settled for moments, long enough for the dwarves to celebrate prematurely when Smaug bursted from the ground. His wings flapped, treading clumsily, shaking away the painful heat of gold. He howled and screamed in pain, causing the mountain to shake.

Smaug's head turned to the dwarves. "Revenge? Revenge! I will show you revenge!" He exclaimed, turning his long neck towards the open view to Laketown.

"He's going to Laketown!" Bilbo shouted, watching the dragon begin to charge.

Simbelmynë's eyes widened, lips shaking, "Bard, the children.."

"Mynë, what are you thinking?" Bilbo quizzed, seeing that terrifying look of spiritedness paint her face. The hobbit watched on as she removed her cape, planting her feet.

"Forgive me," Simbelmynë whispered with regret in her voice. Racing to the rope hanging with a counterweight, she cut off the large counterweight and the rope retched her body upwards quickly. As she made it to a landing in front and above the dragon she called, "Smaug! That which does not wear gold, nor a crown! He does not rule!"

"Elf..." he uttered, tilting its head dauntingly. "The elf among dwarves! What business do you have aiding dwarves?!" he tutted, growing angrier, stepping closer.

"My business is not aiding dwarves.." she replied seriously, finish with her signature smirk, "it is defeating dragons."

The elven woman raced from her perch above the dragon, throwing her body. With her sword between two hands, stretching arms behind her head, she launched herself without hesitation. Her blade cut through the air heading for the dragons throat-but as well as every other plan that day- this one didn't go down well either. In a fraction of a second the dragon had moved and Simbelmynë's blade found itself stabbing into Smaugs shoulder.