C H A P T E R 22

C H A P T E R 22 - M E L L O N

~𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝕘𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕥 𝕡𝕖𝕣𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕤~

~𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕨𝕚𝕝𝕝 𝕒𝕝𝕨𝕒𝕪𝕤 𝕓𝕖 𝕞𝕚𝕟𝕖~

~𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕟 𝕚𝕗 𝕀 𝕒𝕞 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕪𝕠𝕦𝕣𝕤~

"Watch out!" Bofur called aloud in the fog of the lake, watching in fright as the barge wound through the maze of jagged rocks stuck up in the water.

Simbelmynë merely stood on the back of the barge, standing firm on her feet as if she were on flat ground. Looking over her shoulder, she looked at the somewhat terrified faces of her friends, and the deeply annoyed Thorin.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Thorin remarked, eyes narrowed at the bargeman. Mynë could not help the smile that fell on her face; how typical of him to say...

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you I would not do it here. I would also be wise not to anger my beloved friend." Bard replied, trying his best to speak somewhat respectfully.

Simbelmynë smiled slightly, walking over to the man and punching him lightly in the arm. It was human way of joking around; at least that was what Bard had told her... Humans were strange.

It must have been true considering the chucked that left his throat. "Bel.. What are you doing with these dwarves?" he quizzed, continuing to wind the boat through the maze of rocks on the lake. It was a question he had been wondering since he saw her on that riverbank.

"It is a very long story," she trailed off, unwilling to explain any further. Bard was the least bit surprised from her response, it was exactly like Mynë to give an answer so vague.

"Have you been with them long?"

Mynë shook her head softly, turning back to the water the way they had came. The way back. She answered, "not at all, merely through Mirkwood."

It was most unlike her to act the way she was, sure she was secretive, but not with him. What had happened on her travels? Mynë was acting strange, like she was hiding something. She was so deep in thought staring out to the lake...

"Did something happen in Greenwood?" Bard asked her out of the blue, keeping his eyes on the horizon.

"Why do you ask?"

"You're acting strange, something's on your mind,"

"Perhaps you are right. Something did happen while I was there, I do not know if I could even begin to explain it. I just know it has changed me," she sighed aloud, continuing her thoughts, "I only wonder if it has changed me forever."

"Perhaps change is what you have needed," he pondered, turning the wheel in between the large rocks.

"Perhaps," Mynë smiled slightly back at him, "I appreciate your words, mellon,"

"You are welcome as always, Bel," Bard smiled back, "the children will be pleased to see you,"

"I'm excited to see them, they haven't grown too much have they?" Simbelmynë quizzed him, stepping closer to hear more.

"It's mere months, I'm sure you'll be able to recognise them..."

Simbelmynë could only beam at his words, and only when she saw what was in front of them did it falter. The mountain came into view from the boat, the dwarves staring up at it in awe. Simbelmynë gazed at Erebor, a mountain she had seen many times before when she would visit Laketown. It was beautiful, yet it only made her think of how much better Mirkwood was.