16 - The Scarlet Letter

It took Will a few seconds to take in the implications of what had just happened. Tanner had said the Seniors would be his biggest challenge. But it was clear that Huck was the Big Man on Campus, thanks to his position as Avatar, and in charge of his year. As long as Big Red was crushing on him, Will would have no problems.

"Okay, Cadets. Listen up. I've reviewed the state's list for recommended reading and found some titles that I don't think have ever been taught at Boxton. Name me one novel you liked that you've read in your first three years here." To my great disappointment, only 3 hands were raised.

"Cadet Thomas?"

"Yes, Sir. I enjoyed The Adventures of Tom Sawyer."

"Cadet Overgaard?"

"Yes, Sir! I enjoyed Moby Dick, Sir!"

"Y'all enjoy dick period, not just Moby's!" said Cadet Adamas

Will saw an opportunity and took it. "I'm sure that's something all of us enjoy, depending on our mood. Isn't that right, Overgaard?"

"Sir, Yessiree, Sir, Mr. Poulet." Overgaard's grin looked as if it was about to break the bounds of his face.

"Cadet Kwek?"

"I think The Grapes of Wrath was a good book. Depressing, but good."

"I'm sensing that most of you didn't find anything that you've read in class as being memorable."

"Sir, permission to speak frankly?" asked Big Red himself.

"Go ahead, Cadet Huck."

"Most of us didn't find any story or characters we could all relate to. For one thing, our folks are all pretty rich. Most of us come from different parts of the country. Some of us are even from Mississippi – no offense, Cadet McHatfield."

"None taken, bro," he responded, "I can't wait to get outta here."

"What things, in your opinion, make a great novel?"

"Action!" said Jeffers. "Mystery!" shouted Morrison. "Romance!" sighed Kwek. "Social conflict!" piped Magnusson. "A really great setting," said Huck, surprising me, "One which is like its own character in the story." A few more said "Fantasy" and the rest wanted steamy sex scenes. Boys will be...pervs!

I handed out a list with summaries of about 50 books. "I want each of you to choose 12 books from this list, check them off, and hand it in on Wednesday. There are copies of each one in the Main Library. Mr. Wynette will lend you one if you ask him. Read the first chapter and be ready to give a report on it in Wednesday's class. Tell us if you'd like to read the rest of it."

"Homework already?" whined Cadet Adamas.

"We've got initiation this..." began Huck, but Will put his finger on Huck's lips, yanking it away just as Huck was about to kiss it. "You have shown me how proud y'all are to be seniors. A lot will be expected of you this year – you are the best of the best, aren't you?" And he smartly saluted them.

"Sir, Yes Sir!" barked Big Red, the rest of the Seniors echoing him.

"Cadets," I said sharply, "Dismissed."

They filed out, one by one. All except Huck, who boldly sat on the edge of Will's desk, legs spread, trousers still tented. "The underclassmen were calling you 'Big Willy' but I think a better nickname for you would be..." He grabbed Will's crotch, whose dick hardened instantly in a salute of its own. "...Iron Will."

"Much as we'd both like to relieve some tension, you've got another class to get to and my assignment to do. And I've a ton of work, so let's carry on this very hard discussion later."

They kissed for a good 15 seconds before Will broke it off. Unfortunately, he'd been spotted by Jeremiah Singleton, who'd been in the hallway passing by Will's open door to get to the next classroom. He looked upset and hurried on his way. Will wondered if he was going to tell Derek what he saw. Damn, he thought, what am I doing?

It was just past 4:00 pm, so Will decided to explore the secret stairwell from the morning. The stairs going up led to a small lounge area on the roof, with an herb garden that would have made Hogwart's Prof. Sprout proud: cooking herbs, medicinal herbs, and poisonous herbs.

There was also a medium-sized compost bin, with its lid partially open. When Will went to close the lid, there was a small patch inside the bin that was covered with flies, some yellow jackets and a wasp or two. It appeared that there was a square inch of open compost; it appeared to be the corner of a piece of paper.

Someone had stuck a magnolia branch into a bottle of Jack Daniels and put it on a table between two ancient garden recliners

Someone had stuck a magnolia branch into a bottle of Jack Daniels and put it on a table between two ancient garden recliners. Will used the branch to disperse the flying insects and cleared away some debris, where he found an envelope. Lifting it up and out of the bin, he was about to leave due to the return of the wasps when he spotted something else. He dug it out with the branch, using the paper to grab hold of the thing, and dropped the branch back into its bottle.

He left the bin open and made sure that everything was left exactly as it appeared before his discovery. When he was satisfied, Will returned to his cottage, sat down at the dining table and looked at the paper. It was a Boxton Military Academy envelope, and it was addressed to Matthew Stone, at an address in New York City. It was also the same address as the building that Will's parents lived in. Matthew Stone – the activist who'd gone missing – lived just a floor away from them.

But more frightening was the message, written on the back, in red letters that were fading and smeared by some of the compost bin scraps. "Help Me I'm here." And it might have been written using blood. Blood from the other thing he'd found in the bin – a severed finger.

 Blood from the other thing he'd found in the bin – a severed finger