Chapter 11

The light pitter-patter of the rains, the cool winds airing the closed curtains and the sheer dim light of the crescent moon passing through them into the dark-filled room, would've lulled any human to sleep. 

But not Nishant, as he continued going through the sketches of some splendidly designed wedding outfits while it's colour palettes were neatly displayed at the corner of the page with all it's work details. 

Nishant's eyes scanned every outfit with a certain emotion glinting in his eyes. He traced his hands on the colours splattered over the paper as if absorbing every ounce of effort and emotion soaked in it. 

His fingers traced the beautiful italic handwriting at the corner of the page and suddenly a ghost of a smile appeared on his lips. His eyes closed on his own accord and a memory flashed infront of his eyes.

"Don't waver your hand Nishi. Otherwise how am I supposed to help you writing the alphabets properly." A giggly laugh left out of the 4 year old's throat as he was successful in annoying his mother. 

Namrata playfully glared at her son to show her seriousness. He suddenly came closer to her face and kissed his mother's cheeks. His lips stretched into a wide smile looking at his mother smile. 

"You're such a naughty boy, my baccha." She said, playfully pinching his nose, pulling him in her embrace and rubbing her cheeks with his. 

"What a beautiful shot to capture." Anand grinned a cheshire smile as he recorded a candid video of them together via his camcorder.

"You were secretly shooting us?" Namrata fake gasped, dramatically placing her palm over her open mouth and looked towards Nishant who imitated the same. 

"Don't mind me. You both were looking so cute while you taught him to write alphabets on the slate. Seemed like a good memory to save for a lifetime." He winked at her, proceeding to shoot them.

"C'mon Nishi, let's leave the bigger Nishi stunned by showcasing your beautiful messy calligraphy to him." His mother cheered him while he giggled and held the chalk in his little fist. 

Namrata covered his little fist with her own hand and helped him to scribble the alphabets neatly on the slate. After writing his name on the black surface, they clapped together in triumph.

Anand got the camcorder near the slate, shooting the view of his son's handwriting. "Wow, son! You've got a beautiful calligraphy indeed." Listening to his father praise him, Nishant shook his head rapidly. 

"No?" His father inquired. He cutely placed his palm on his forehead and dramatically sighed. 

"Offo papa! This beautiful cauliflower is mom's, not mine." Nishant explained in his squeaky tone. But soon his eyes were drawn together in confusion when he saw his both the parents holding back their laughter.

"Did you both fart together?" The last string they were holding onto also broke and the room echoed with their laughters. Looking at his parents' happy faces, Nishant's squeaky laughter mingled with theirs as well.

He let out a sad chuckle and closed the journal ever so gently while clasping it tightly to his chest. "I'm jealous of that younger version though." 

A stray tear rolled down his cheeks as he looked at the crescent moon through the slits of the curtains. His gaze suddenly settled on the hollowness of the dark skies which held no glitters in them, this time ignoring the moon completely.

'A fate like mine.' His thoughts were halted by his phone going off. It was a spam message that had popped up in his notification bar. But what caught his attention was a missed call. From Aashika.