Act 2 - Chapter 35: Ari

Start from the beginning

"Don't look, Arizona," Hikaru urges as we keep running.

I return my attention to the front and continue running alongside Hikaru, tears flowing from my eyes.

We reach a beige colored jeep with a man in the driver's seat and a soldier at the gunner's nest. The uniformed man with a combat helmet on his head motions us to enter through the back of the vehicle.

"Sergeant Toleus," Hikaru commands the driver as she and I enter the jeep. "Floor it!"

"Yes, ma'am." Sergeant Toleus shifts the jeep into drive and slams his foot on to the accelerator. Tires squeal and the engine lets out a deep roar.

"Don't worry," Hikaru says, wrapping her arms around me. "If there's one promise I'll make today, it's this: we will get you out of this wretched place, no matter what. Gunhild has caused too much devastation, and you have suffered more than anyone. Remember, Gunhild is not your mother. A real mother would not subject their children to the pain and abuse you went through."

"What was Gunhild's intention, anyway?" Sergeant Toleus asks, his voice loud.

"Something about a Balancing."

It's that word again, I ponder. I make a mental note about it.

"I don't know what it is, but if the summoning of black and white creatures is part of it—" Hikaru pauses, trying to find the right words. She says in a low voice, "To be honest, nobody at the labs knew Gunhild had that kind of power. She was once a great hero from another world who helped America during The War of Machines, but now — a terrifying individual with the strength of a god. How did she turn into this? It feels like it happened so fast."

"Don't think about it too hard, partner," Sergeant Toleus says. "Also, hold on tight. It's those owls and ravens again, and they brought those cyborg monsters with them. Those white angel-bears and black demon-wolf things."

The gunner above continues firing. However, something latches on to the gunner's shoulders and rips them off their seat. The gunner screams, flying high, arms wailing until they fall on to the pavement, meeting their demise.

My eyes continue to well with tears. "I'm scared, Miss Hikaru."

"Don't worry. It'll be okay," Hikaru consoles. "I promise. Just hold on to this." She places my hand on the support rail on the side door of the jeep while securing me with the seatbelt. "Hold on to it real tight."

With the little child-like strength I have, I latch on to the metal railing with a tight grip using both hands.

Hikaru climbs to the empty gunner's nest above the jeep and begins firing. Rat-tat-tat-tat-tat! The gun fires and bullets spray.

Something lets out a deep, harrowing roar. Five-year-old me thinks it's a dragon or some great creature of legend.

I glance out the window and see other jeeps and military vehicles aiding our escape, some with roof-mounted gunners while others firing energy weapons from the back side. Ravens and owls flock around, colliding against flying military drones, while larger machine-like beasts resembling polar bears and black wolves continue to pursue us.

"There are so many of them!" Hikaru yells while firing at the adversaries.

"Technical Sergeant Toleus," someone calls from the jeep's radio. "The force field will activate in 30 seconds."

Sergeant Toleus replies, "I have Ms. Kagura and the child with me. Clear a path!"

"Aye-aye, Technical Sergeant."

Surrounding jeeps and military vehicles flank us, fending off the strange creatures with explosive firepower.

The Technical Sergeant shifts the jeep to Sport gear and floors it hard. The jeep's engine revs high and loud as we blaze towards the security gate.