XVII. Timeless

You don't think you've ever sprinted so fast. As you clamber through the bleached doorway of the home, nearly scaring Asger out of his skin, you suddenly jolt to a stop. Luna peers from over your shoulder, clavicle pressed against your back as she tries to distinguish the cause of your rigidness.

Slowly stepping inside, you feel your knees tremble as doubt begins to seep into your veins. Asger shoots you a concerned look before filling a glass up with water and disappearing into Regulus' room.

Luna carefully guides you to the table and you take a moment to lean against the beat wood.

"Are you going to stay here?" Her airy words were free of judgment, tone light and even as if she were simply asking you what tea you preferred. You wordlessly nod, barely reacting when the girl pats your shoulders and skips after Asger.

You run your fingers down your coat as hesitation nips at your nerves, a bubble of anxiety rippling through your chest and up into your throat. Hobbling steps echo distantly in your head, and you're faintly aware of Anders' approaching magic.

"You okay, kid?" His voice was gruff, but colored with understanding.

You hum quietly, still lost in your head. An unnerving silence roots itself in the room, and you hear Anders shift from leg to leg as he seems to grapple with himself for the right words.

"Alright." He huffs.

You spin around and face the man, eyes widening at him before gluing to the open window across the room, "Alright? You don't think I'm a coward?"

Anders rolls his eyes and limps towards you, placing a rugged hand on your shoulder, "Hell you thinking that for?" He moves to sit down next to you, "You're a lot of things kid, a coward ain't one of 'em. Besides, I would do the same."

Tilting your head, you swallow harshly as a prickly sensation wraps around your neck, "What do you mean?"

"If my Anne were to walk through that door right now, I don't even know what'd I do," He shakes his head with a wry smile, "Isn't it funny that you can wish for something so desperately, but the prospect of it actually happening..."

"It's unbelievable." You add, watching as the man nods solemnly. You almost feel selfish for allowing your emotions to taunt you, knowing that you were being handed an ineffable opportunity that the man would kill for.

Before you can say much else, Asger cracks open the door with a resounding creak, slowly padding out with an unreadable expression, "He's asking for you."

Your eyes widen considerably at his words, and you turn to look at Anders for guidance. The older man simply jerks his head towards the door, eyes closing as an imperceptible smile tugs at his lips. He looked like he was making peace with something– but what?

Slowly making your way towards the commodious room, you feel your skin buzz and numb, mouth drying up as you gradually sink into a pool of uncertainty. As you cross the threshold, eyes set on the floor, you feel Luna slink around you with a little pat to your back, leaving you both alone.

As the door closes behind you, you slowly raise your gaze up.

"Hello, birdie." Regulus' smile is strained, as if he were pained, but his eyes are practically glowing under the light. He's sitting up on the makeshift bed, arms resting in his lap as he slowly fiddles with the frays of the blanket.

A sob tears through your throat, muddling your words into an incomprehensible blubber as you practically fly towards the boy, throwing yourself into his chest. Your tears were no doubt pooling through the thin fabric of his shirt, but the onslaught of searing emotion only continues to flare as you feel him wrap his arms around you.