VII. Uncertainties and Summers

The weeks following the confrontation at the Ministry left the Wizarding World at a standstill, the alleys and streets seeming to grey and titter in jumbled whispers and conspiracies. Minister Fudge could no longer make a public enemy out of Harry, having witnessed the return of Voldemort for himself. Unsurprisingly, Fudge resigned shortly after Dumbledore was reinstated.

Despite the retreat of public scrutiny from his back, Harry fared no better than he had the summer before, conceivably managing far worse. You don't remember much after Sirius' attack, only that Luna quickly rushed to your side and grabbed Regulus' portrait from your hands, hiding it in your jacket as Auror Tonks made her way over to your glass-eyed form.

You could never thank Luna enough because you distinctly remember being unable to feel your limbs due to shock, and you'd rather not have to explain your portrait predicament. Tonks' words barely registered, but you heard one thing loud and clear: Sirius was not dead.

But he did not get better.

Currently, he occupied a suite room at St. Mungo's, his consciousness torn away as he remained in a frigid coma. After Harry had recovered from his clash with Bellatrix and Voldemort, he had nearly tackled you to the ground, realizing that your quick thinking to grab Sirius with your spell was the only reason he was still alive.

Breaking the news to Regulus was difficult since you knew how much he loved his brother, despite the strained relationship they had. Regulus was devastated by the news and he seemed to pale further when you told him that it was Bellatrix that got him. Pureblood family issues were so complicated.

After your brief conversation about Sirius' status, neither of you had the energy to talk about Regulus' disappearance, so you ended up pocketing away his portrait.

Despite the relief you felt because Regulus was back with you, you couldn't bring yourself to face him just yet. Your reluctance to face him again led you to leave him in your pocket for a few weeks without talking to him.

However, you knew you'd have to face him eventually, and it was just the opportune time to do so. Harry and the Weasleys were going to spend the summer at the Burrow, but you pleaded with Dumbledore to allow you to return to Grimmauld Place under the guise that you would research ways to help Sirius.

Bellatrix had hit him with a highly complex dark curse, one that was foreign to the healers at St. Mungo's, meaning that it was likely a curse found in the Black library.

Your excuse wasn't a lie, but it was far from the whole truth. You also wanted to further explore your magical connection with Regulus and the disappearing room, still perplexed by the wisp of magic you felt last time. But it seemed that there was little use hiding that fact from Dumbledore, as he gave you a small, all-knowing smile before giving you permission, " The world seems to have strange ways of bringing people together. I do hope you find what you are seeking."

At first, your heart nearly gave out because you assumed that he had used legilimency on you, but your ring gave no indication of it, so you presumed it was just a Dumbledore thing.

It seemed that Dumbledore and Luna were aware of Regulus' existence to some degree, which was no surprise, one was a legendary wizard, the other an understated seer. Their knowledge only served to worry you though, as you weren't confident that Voldemort was none the wiser to Regulus' existence now.

If Dumbledore knew with what limited time you spent around him, there was no doubt Voldemort was itching from suspicion.

Vengeance was practically Voldemort's middle name (even if Harry insists that it's Marvolo ). You still had no idea how Regulus had wronged Voldemort, but you weren't sure if you wanted to find out for the sake of your own sanity.