XV. Reine, Reine, Go Away

The sun peeked through the dainty window above the kitchen sink of Anders' house, illuminating the small waves of dust that swirled through the air and bringing light warmth on your back. In front of you, Anders' stern expression remained unflinching despite how brutally the sun shone onto his wrinkled face.

Behind you, you could hear Asger mumbling quietly to Luna about putting on the kettle. Clutched firmly in your lap, Regulus' journal seemed to burn into your thighs, reinforcing your resolve. Overnight, you had practically sprouted a new spine of steel.

"What's in it for me?" Anders' gruff voice tore through the silence, and you could see how brightly his inner conflict flickered through his eyes.

Raising your head minutely, your flat voice rang through the air firmly, "What do you want?" Your deadpan masked how anxious you were about the conversation, not knowing where you would turn to if Anders denied you again.

Swinging forward in his seat to the creaking protest of his chair, he narrows his eyes into a glare, "The research. What you found and will inevitably find." His voice was hard and cold, leaving no room for negotiation.

Drawing your eyebrows together in confusion, your voice leaves as a small whisper, "Yes?"

"I want to publish it."

Your eyes slowly widen and you have to clench your jaw to stop your nose from flaring in irritation. He wanted to take credit for Regulus' research.

You become increasingly aware of the way the sunlight claws at your back, prickling with a steaming fierceness that matches the sudden burning along your jaws as you bury your fury.

What would Regulus want?

Is this okay to do?

Is there any other choice?

Gritting your teeth, you hiss out your answer without even trying to hide your venomous tone, "Fine."

Anders' eyes flicker around your scowl for a few moments before he leans back and sighs, "Good," He then grins almost mockingly at you before averting his attention somewhere behind you, "let's eat, then."

You gulp loudly and try to steady your breathing, afraid that you would hex the man if you stewed further in your anger. There was no time to run rampant and squander your chances, even if the cost was highly unsavory.

You were doing this for Regulus, and he was worth it.

Breakfast, thankfully, went by quickly and without much trouble, even if the fish tasted like cotton pads in your distracted state. As Luna put down her fork with a muted clink, you were quick to snap back into reality.

Anders wipes his mouth with a cloth before throwing it down and hauling himself up with a small grunt. Asger simply observes his father with veiled interest, eyes following the older man as he shuffles over to place his plate in the sink. You straighten up in your seat and turn to face the older man, "Do you have books then? That I can read through."

Anders grunts before limping towards the front door, only stopping when silence ensues, "I don't have all day, kid."

Shooting a flat look at Asger and Luna, they both give you surprised half-smiles in return. Asger wordlessly reaches to collect the rest of the plates, ushering you to follow his temperamental father. As you tread behind the older man, intentionally taking half steps to remain behind him, you decide to try and lift your spirits by looking at the scenery.

Reine was just as breathtaking in the morning as it was at night. The vast blues of the water fluttered in small peaks ever so slightly, reminiscent of the much larger rocky peaks that lined the village around you. The bright snow blanketing the rocky mounds seemed to shimmer under the sunlight, pure and thick, and nostalgic of the winters at Hogwarts.