Chapter Twenty-Seven

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:

We had been driving for almost a half hour. I was getting restless and Ashton still refused to tell me where we were going. It didn't help that I barely knew where anything was, so I couldn't exactly guess either.

"Ash, it's too early for this." I whined.

"It's past noon. You took forever getting dressed."

"That's because you wouldn't tell me where we're going, and I couldn't figure out what to wear."

"We're almost there." He said and I groaned. I hated the suspense. Not much longer, we were pulling into the parking lot of an awkward looking restaurant.

"We drove all this way for this?" I asked.

"Technically, no."

"What do you mean 'technically'?" I raised an eyebrow.

"The show doesn't start for another two hours, so we're just gonna eat." He said.

"Who eats for two hours?" I wondered. It seemed strange to me.

"Luke can go all day if he's hungry enough and the food is good." He shrugged.

The inside of the restaurant was warm and smelt of freshley baked bread. It was small and a band was playing on a tiny stage somewhere in the corner. A huge Portuguese flag hung on the wall facing the entrance. We were greeted by an overly friendly sweaty man with a uni brown and thick beard. Ashton explained that our friends had arrived earlier and we went off on our own to find them.

"There's the birthday girl!" Cassidy exclaimed, already on her feet and ready to give me a hug. I was wished a happy birthday and hugged by each one of the boys, Ashton pushing them away for 'getting too comfortable'. It was cute when he got jealous.

"We should go to a bar later. You're finally legal." Michael suggested, and they all agreed, adding that I needed to get drunk.

We were given menus, and it didn't take too long for me to figure out that this was a vegan restaurant. I watched Calum argue with the menu after I had already ordered. Ashton looked like he had smelt something really bad while he read through the menu trying to figure out what to eat. Luke and Michael looked like they were both in pain while they stared at their menues. It was comedy.

"I don't understand why you would think that a vegan restaurant is a good idea." Michael complained to Ashton after everyone had ordered and Ashton simply ignored him. Soon after, our food was brought out and the complaining started all over again. It was entertaining.

* * *

"Okay, don't freak out on me." He said after we were back in his car after a great lunch (which Ashton, Calum, Luke and Michael didn't agree with).

"What is it?" I wondered.

"Happy birthday." He smiled, before pulling an envelope out of his jacket pocket. I stared at it, trying to figure out what it could possibly be. But I was soon put out of my misery when he handed me the envelope and I didn't waste any time and ripped it open to reveal two tickets to the Foo Fighters concert.

"Ashton, you did not. Oh my gosh!" I was freaking out on him. The show was tonight, and now I knew what all the suspense was about. I climbed out of my seat and into his lap, pressing my lips to his.

"I take it you like my little surprise?" He laughed in between kisses.

"Love it. You're the best."

"Let's get going then if you don't wanna miss the show."

* * *

Life is a weird little game with awkward twists and turns. Just when you think that everything is running smooth, it seems to fall apart. The trick is to never get comfortable. Something must always go terribly wrong, and that was the sad truth.