Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN:

McKenzie's POV

Kellin would be coming home in two weeks. I didn't know if I was excited to be seeing my brother again, or happy because this awkwardness between my mother and I would end.

Last night she taught me how to make tacos -let me rephrase that. She tried to teach me, which resulted in us eating soggy tacos for dinner. We were making progress. Nobody had mentioned Mark. Nobody had mentioned Ashton.

I had gone to my first therapy session with Doctor Jacobs since leaving the hospital only two days ago. I told her about how my mother and I were both trying on both sides to strengthen this relationship. She didn't ask about Ashton. She didn't ask about Mark. I showed her the drawing that I had done the day that I had left the hospital, and told her that my father had been dead for two years. We spoke a little bit about that, but I didn't want to linger on the topic that was my father for too long. I had not told Doctor Jacobs about the incident with dad almost three years ago.

We spoke for about two hours, and she gave me something to be excited about. She reminded me that next month was my eighteenth birthday. I wasn't really one to celebrate birthdays. I thought that celebrating the fact that you're getting old was a bit strange. It also made me wonder about Ashton. When was his birthday? We had never spoken about it before.

* * *

Ashton's POV

Leaving the ground was the worst part of flying. I always hated how my ears would pop and I would go temporarily deaf. My plan was to sleep through the flight. Calum was set on watching movies. Michael was already asleep, and Luke had on his earphones. I got comfortable in my seat, pulling the thin blanket over me and closed my eyes.

* * *
McKenzie's POV

After my session with Doctor Jacobs I decided to head to the cliff, dangling my legs over the edge as usual. I began drawing a portrait of Dave Grohl, feeling an unusual calm take over my body. My mind was at peace. It was already getting dark out, so I decided to head home. I promised mom that I would cook a true Italian style dinner, and I refused to go back on my word.

* * *
Ashton's POV

After a long flight, I could finally say that I was home. I pulled my luggage along behind me as we made our way out of the airport. It was early in the morning, but there were already fans waiting for us. For security reasons, we were rushed off to the car and didn't have time to stop and speak to fans.

Before long, I was standing in my living room, hugging a very sleepy Cassidy and emotional mom. We sat around the table for breakfast and I told them all about the different countries that my band and I had been to in the past two months.

* * *
McKenzie's POV

I was proud of myself. For the first time in a long time, I had eaten a full meal. Mother made a very elaborate breakfast, and I had eaten everything on my plate. Mother smiled, but said nothing. I knew what she was thinking.

I had decided to go and see Cassidy today while mom was at work. I needed to see what I had missed in school while I was gone, but I instead found myself at the cliff again. I realised that since my release, I had spent an excessive amount of time at the cliff. I had already written a countless number of poems in my new journal, none of them as dark as my origional style of writing. It was probably because of the antidepressants.

I was dangling my legs over the edge as usual, when I heard footsteps behind me. Nobody ever really came here. I was usually alone. There was an old man who would come here walking his dog about a year ago, but he had passed away a few months back. His name was Albert. He was a very sweet Australian man.