Epilogue

Kennedy runs around the yard, chasing Cole as he barks and wags his tail.

"Come on Kennedy, it's time to eat!" Kelsey calls and then goes back to talking with mom.

Lynette brings the sweet corn out and places it on the table. I slap Hunter's hand away as he reaches for an ear.

"Josh, how are those steaks coming?" She asks him as my mother sits next to me, holding Elizabeth tightly in her arms. Elizabeth watches everything with such awe.

"Almost done!"

Finally everyone is rounded up and seated. I look from face to face, family. This is mine. I thought my mother moving into an apartment downtown was a dangerous idea, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Grandmothers make perfect babysitters, although I will be happy when she moves out of our guest room. And while Hunter and I have agreed, we are raising our daughter, it makes sense to not rely on his parents all of the time.

After we eat Hunter whips out his guitar and Kelsey takes out one of her own. Hunter begins his lesson and Kennedy dodges around, her own child guitar bangs behind her as she drags it and dances.

Elizabeth sleeps against my chest as I watch them. I don't talk to anyone, just enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.

"Andi, you did good."

I look at my mom, surprised. "Thank you."

"No, thank you for sharing with me."

I don't reply, I just glance over to Hunter and catch his eye. The smile on his face grows wide. "Kelsey, why don't you try it by yourself?" He sets his guitar aside and walks over to me. "May I have this dance?" He bows low.

"Here." My mom takes Elizabeth back with care not to wake her.

I stand and take his hand.

We start dancing as Kelsey strums out a tune. I recognize the tune and I hold back a laugh. "You did that on purpose."

"I don't know what you're talking about. She asked to learn that song first."

I place my head on Hunter's shoulder in the dying light and softly sing along with Kelsey's playing, while it's not perfect, it's just about the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.

🎶
"So lay here beside me just hold me and don't let go
This feelin' I'm feelin' is somethin' I've never known
And I just can't take my eyes off you

I love when you tell me that I'm pretty
When I just wake up
And I love how you tease me when I'm moody
But it's never too much
I'm falling fast but the truth is I'm not scared at all"
🎶

"I love you." Hunter whispers in my ear.

"I love you too." I whisper back before I start singing again.

The song ends and we move our party inside, where it's bright and happy. The sound of my family brings a smile to my face.

"Can I help with dishes?" Kelsey pokes her head into the kitchen.

"What makes you think you can get out of it?"

We fall into a familiar pattern, normal, this is an old normal, and also a new normal. Hunter's laugh rings throughout the house and it just makes me smile. Finally, everything feels right. No happy endings, just a peaceful moment in time that I have learned to treasure up. And it's a beautiful thing.

END OF BOOK 2
-----
A/N: thank you for your support, your comments, for believing in me. I hope you stick around for more Ander because I have a whole new angle and am excited to share. Stay awesome and stay you.