"I think if your best friend has a problem with you, then it shouldn't be as surprising if I do," she replied. I looked up and scoffed.

"Yeah, but I don't even know you, Elle, how is that any fair?" I insisted, throwing my hands up. I finally looked at her and felt my stomach drop. She was glaring at me, her stare furious and eyes glistening.

"I think it's plenty fair, Mr. Munson," she seethed, leaning over the bar. I was frozen – this venom was different than her usual fire. "You know, I have tried to remain professional with you, Eddie. And you crash through my boundaries every time. Please, take a hint and leave me alone."

She threw the rag she was using down and stormed away, heading to the stage to tidy something up. I watched her, even more confused. She stumbled over an extension cord before catching herself, and I grinned.

God, it did not help that her anger made her so hot. And her words were always so sharp and clever. I was a man smitten with her.

I cleared my throat and went back to the table I was sat at. I continued to watch her. She was furiously wrapping cords and throwing them into boxes. I needed to figure out how to crack her. I had used all of my usual tactics, and they hadn't worked.

"Isn't she a bitch?"

I turn, brows furrowed. The asshole lead singer from before was talking to me, throwing his vodka back. I turned away from him, choosing to ignore him. He was suddenly dropping into the seat next to me, slamming his glass down. I glared at him. Maybe this is how Elle felt when I bothered her.

"She's a bitch, dude. She's been leading me on for months, trotting around and being a cocktease," he hissed, glaring at her. I wrinkled my nose, disturbed by his behavior.

"I have a hard time believing she's given you any indication that she would be into you," I replied, trying to scoot away from him. He leaned forward and continued to glare at her.

"You get it, man – she trots around in those tight black dresses, smiling and laughing at everything and everyone," he slurred. I raised an eyebrow. Smiling and laughing seemed especially out of character for Elle.

"I think you need to leave her alone, man," I said. He snapped his head to me and glared.

"Fuck you, too, man – is she hooking up with you?" he asked, getting in my face. I placed a heavy hand on his shoulder and pushed him back.

"I don't need to be sleeping with a girl to treat her with respect, asshole," I hissed.

His eyes widened and he backed down. I looked over and saw Elle watching us with a puzzled expression. I stood and pulled my wallet out, grabbing a ten-dollar bill. I crossed to the bar and held the bill up so she could see me. I placed it on the counter, and she nodded at me. I paused.

In spite of how surly and venomous she was, I wanted to stay and talk to her. I wanted to see if me helping her with the stage would change her mind. She turned away from me, and I sighed. I'd have to come back some other time. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and started the walk home, my thoughts consumed by Elle.

---

I glanced over my shoulder and saw that Eddie had finally left. I breathed a sigh of relief. The awful remnants had been boiling over all night because I hadn't been able to shake it off. I took a deep breath and finished wrapping the cords.

"Bye, Ellie-girl!"

I turned and smiled at the regulars.

"Bye, you two – nice to see you," I replied. I looked around and saw that Eric had disappeared as well. I crossed to the table where his empty glass was, scoffing when I saw he left no money. I picked up the glass and placed it behind the bar, annoyed with the evening.