chapter twenty-nine

author's note: dialogues in italics are in french
put on your favorite comfort song and enjoy the chapter! <3

Adeline hadn't even realized how much she had missed Rouen and Pierre's family. The well-known corners of the house and garden, the enchanting aroma of lavender lingering in the air, and carefree moments—she had missed it all so badly.

The three days had flown by so quickly that Adeline almost refused to leave. Even though she knew that Charles had some plans after Rouen, he wouldn't tell her anything about it. He had promised to reveal his secret in the morning, right before leaving.

Pierre's mom had planned a huge barbecue in the afternoon, which had always been a special occasion. Pierre's dad had been the king of the grill, and Pascale had always taken care of the rest.

Filled with enthusiasm, Adeline, Charles, and Pierre were eager to join the barbecue preparation. Pierre was somewhere in the garden with his dad, while Adeline and Charles were assisting Pascale in the kitchen.

They were cutting some vegetables for Pascale's famous salad when Pascale slapped her forehead, and she started wiping off her hands with a towel. "I completely forgot to buy mozzarella! I need to go to the store."

"I can go there if you want," Charles looked up at the woman with brown hair, who looked so similar to Pierre.

"No, it's okay, mon ange. I'll also get some eggs at the farmer's market, there's still some time left. Just finish the salad, please," Pascale reassured Charles, shaking her head gently as she hurriedly made her way out of the kitchen. She was determined to make their final dinner together truly extraordinary.

"You really are a perfectionist even while cutting vegetables, aren't you?" Adeline remarked, her eyes fixed on Charles' veiny hands delicately slicing a tomato with astonishing precision. Though Charles had removed his ring for cooking, his wrist was still adorned with a few bracelets, causing Adeline to unconsciously bite her lower lip. "I mean, what those hands can't do?"

Charles put the sharp knife down, and he looked up at the blonde woman standing next to him, wearing an apron. He leaned against the kitchen counter, tilting his head. "They are very precise, but I think you've already figured that out," Charles' mouth curved into a playful smirk, and Adeline could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks.

"I have," Adeline couldn't help but giggle, feeling a strange feeling inside her stomach. It was like hundreds of fireworks exploding there, or maybe thousands of butterflies flying around. She suddenly felt like she was a teenager, not a grown-up woman. "Are you trying to seduce me?"

"Is it working?" Charles took a step closer to Adeline, and she did the same thing. She kept staring at those beautiful jade eyes burning with passion. The woman standing before him had ignited a depth of emotion he had never experienced before. He couldn't believe that this feeling could be so intense.

"Well, it might be working. Try harder," she suggested, her British accent accentuating her low, raspy voice that sounded like a heavenly melody to Charles. Adeline deliberately placed her hand right over his racing heart. "Am I making you nervous?" She asked, a playful glimmer in her eyes, sending a delightful shiver down Charles' spine.

"Try harder," Charles' eyes lit up, and he suddenly felt Adeline's lips pressed against his. The touch of her lips was incredibly soft, like the final missing piece of a puzzle falling into place. He had never wanted to taste other lips than hers for the rest of his life.

"Daddy Addy!" Pierre's voice echoed through the house, making Adeline and Charles swiftly part from one another.

"Seriously, what's wrong with this dude? Does he have a built-in radar?" Charles groaned while Adeline took a deep breath in an attempt to regain composure. She smoothed out her apron, shaking her head slightly in disbelief.