chapter one

"Hazel, I'm fine. You don't need to call me every five minutes." Adeline laughed after she had answered her best friend's phone call. It was only 2 PM and Hazel had called her about hundred times.

"Addy, you just went through a break up. That's not fine. I need to check on you!" Hazel disagreed, sounding a little bit angry at Adeline's response. She obviously cared about her best friend and the fact that she had broken up. That's what friends do!

"I broke up with him. Plus, we were together only for a few months," Adeline argued. Tristan and her had broken up yesterday after three months of dating, probably. She didn't know exactly. It wasn't a messy break up, they mutually agreed that they weren't made for each other. Besides, Adeline wasn't really ready for a full commitment.

"Fine. Have you told Pierre?" Hazel asked about Adeline's other best friend. The question made Adeline wide her green eyes, perfectly combined with brown color.

"No, I haven't. You know that he's super protective. Kinda like you," she said, playing with her dirty blonde locks of hair. Pierre has been her best friend from the moment she had made her first steps as a child, so that was a pretty long time. Practically her whole life. However, they weren't seeing each other very often, but not even a long distance could come between these two. Pierre's job required him to travel a lot.

"I know that, but you need to tell him. Call him, Adeline!" Hazel insisted, using Adeline's full name instead of a nickname. Whenever Hazel used her friend's whole name, it always meant that she was truly serious about something. And Hazel wasn't the one to mess with.

"Okay, will do." Adeline agreed, ending the phone call. She knew she had to tell him because her and Pierre were telling each other everything, they didn't have any secrets, no skeletons in their closets. The problem was that Adeline didn't want to make Pierre worried. But at the same time, she wasn't able to avoid this conversation forever.

Adeline looked around her living room, and her eyes spotted a box on the floor, filled with Tristan's stuff that he had left there before their break up. She was supposed to meet him this afternoon and give it to him. There were basically only a few shirts, a toothbrush and pajamas in the box.

She forced to lift herself up from her U-shaped comfortable sofa. It was so comfy that she was able to sleep on it, not needing an extra room for a bed. Then she slowly went to a small, yet very practical kitchen to make some coffee. Her apartment wasn't really a large one, but it had everything she needed for her life. Especially coffee machine. And since the apartment wasn't big, it fortunately didn't cost her every penny she made. It was extremely hard to find a rental in London for a reasonable price, so she was very glad to have this apartment without any roommate, only by herself. She needed her space.

While she was making an espresso to get some energy from the caffeine, Adeline grabbed her phone and looked for Pierre in the contacts, which wasn't a hard task since they were in contact almost every day. She couldn't be more happy to live in 2022 and be able to text, call and Facetime Pierre at any time she wanted to. Adeline texted Pierre and then nervously locked her phone as if she could take that action back.

Daddy Addy
hey, got a minute? need to talk to u

She wasn't expecting him to answer quickly, he was busy with his trainings and all of the travelling. Adeline was certainly nervous about telling him. Pierre has been an expert at overreacting since he was a child. Drama queen Pierre. The break up wasn't a big deal for Adeline and she didn't want to make one out of it. On the other hand, she was perfectly aware that Pierre was overprotective because he cared about her. He knew what she has been through in her life, and he always wanted to make sure that she was seeing a good guy. Not some douchebag.