chapter seven

"Are you sure you don't wanna call a taxi or Uber?" Charles grinned, looking at Adeline tripping almost every ten seconds. Her struggle with balance was, of course, caused by gin shots. On the other hand, she was wearing new heels that were practically killing her.

"I'm sure, but my feet are hurting! Who the hell invented these heels?! I'll sue them!" Adeline cried out, feeling a stabbing pain in her feet. The hotel suddenly appeared far from the bar, but in reality (and sobriety), it'd take only fifteen minutes to get there.

"Just take them off, Addy. I'll give you my shoes," Charles stopped walking, taking his Nike shoes off. Then he held Adeline's hand so that she could remove her heels without stumbling.

"Are you seriously gonna walk without shoes?" Adeline asked after putting on Charles' sneakers that were too big for her – but it was a relief to at least wear something comfortable, not trying to kill her with every single step she took.

"I don't really mind," Charles replied, shrugging his shoulders. He knew that his white socks would eventually turn darker than coal, but he felt bad for Adeline, seeing her struggle so much.

"Are you always like that?" Adeline glanced at Charles, who was holding her pair of heels in his left hand.

"Like what?"

"Kind, gentleman, likeable. I thought that you were an asshole." Adeline mumbled, making Charles laugh. This girl was full of insults, sarcastic comments, and grumpiness; but somehow, during these past few days, she has made him laugh more than anyone in his life.

"Why did you think that?"

"Well, first of all, it's better to assume that everyone is an asshole, and then be pleasantly surprised. That's how I avoid disappointment,"
Adeline explained her theory. "But I don't know. You drive for Ferrari, you're Mónegasque, so like super rich. And you're easy on the eyes. I'd assume you're arrogant, but you're actually really nice," she added.

"Did you just tell me that I'm nice and handsome in one sentence?" Charles' words suddenly hit Adeline like a train because she realized what she had actually said.

"Technically... no."

"Yes, you did!"

"I did not!"

"You can't argue with me about that, I've heard you!" Charles ended their argument quickly, giving Adeline a winning smirk on his lips.

"Objection, that's hearsay!" Adeline pouted her lips, not willing to give up. She was excellent at arguing, which was something essential for her job. She simply needed to be right all the time.

"It's not, you just said it, ma chérie. There's no way you're getting out of this," Charles didn't intend to end the conversation so easily. He realized that Adeline was actually very good at avoiding things.

"You really are an asshole," Adeline's eyebrows furrowed. She was used to winning every single argument.

"And yet you still think that I'm nice and handsome!" Charles laughed. "Well, I think you're very beautiful as well. Actually, from the moment I met you. Even though you looked angry," he added, remembering his first encounter with Adeline.

"Resting bitch face is my speciality," Adeline remarked. "But thank you," she said, responding to his nice comment about her. She was glad that they were walking together during the night, not the day, as her cheeks were turning red. And she certainly wasn't blushing because of the alcohol.

Adeline and Charles finally made it to the hotel. She wasn't even able to stand on her own legs, let alone remember the number of the room. Thankfully, Charles went to the hotel reception with her and got the key card. He then accompanied Adeline to the room and helped her unlock it. Pierre obviously wasn't there; he was still somewhere partying. Adeline's talkative state of drunkenness slowly shifted to being extremely tired and even more clumsy than before.