Chapter 10

Damian's POV:

Raven was changing into proper clothes as I sat on the floor and cooed over Emma. She cracked a smile that shattered my heart and fixed it all at once. She looked just like her mother.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

I grabbed Emma and rose, walking to the door. "Yes?" I asked, not hiding my annoyance.

"Damian," my mother smiled, holding a tray of food. "I brought you and Raven some breakfast."

"We already ate," I give her a cold stare.

"Oh," she sounds disappointed. "How are you settling?"

"We are managing," I kept it short, not wanting to speak to this woman anymore than I already was.

"Did you have a chance to read the file I gave you?" She seemed to want to talk more, and now she was grasping at straws.

"I did," I nod.

"And?" She looked hopeful.

"I have to do further research on my own to check your sources," I kept my voice level even as my annoyances level rose.

"Damian?" Raven's sweet voice called out to me as she came out of the bathroom, dressed in a lavender floor-length dress.

"We are here," I got her attention.

She came over, but her smile instantly dropped as she saw my mother standing in the doorway. "What are you doing here?"

"I came with breakfast, but Damian says you already ate," my mother explained.

"We wake early," my wife nodded, wrapping her arm around mine, standing tall.

"I see," my mother nods in understanding. "I hope to see the two of you for lunch." And with that she stepped away, leaving.

I closed the door and passed Emma to my wife. "I will get ready," I said before walking to the bathroom.

"Damian?" My wife sounded concerned. I turned to face her. "Are you alright?"

"Of course," I gave a false smile and turned back to the bathroom. "I shall only be a few minutes."

"Take your time," Raven said as I closed the door behind me.