Chapter 3

Damian's POV: 

I didn't want Raven to get hurt or too stressed, but I knew that my wife needed to be a part of this search. She would be driven mad waiting for our baby to return. So I let her be involved. The next morning, I woke up and devised a plan, filling her in as she got ready for the day. 

"That doesn't make sense," she shakes her head. "Why would Emma be used as a pawn for a simple border dispute? Your father is settling the dispute, is he not?" 

"It is still a possibility, beloved," I grab her hand and make her turn to me. "We have to think about any possibilities." 

"Was there nothing found in the property? Even the most skilled person would bend a blade of grass walking," Raven questioned, in disbelief that I haven't found any clues. She was asking the same questions I was asking myself.

"I have looked over it and I had my brothers watching my every step in case I missed something," I explained, covering all my bases. 

"It's not that I don't believe that you are capable, but I would like to look over everything with my own eyes." Raven straightened with confidence before walking out to the balcony. She took her time, running her hand over the railing before bending down and looking for something. 

"As I said, I have found nothing," I lean against the doorway, waiting for her. 

"I must say, everything is very clean," she bends down and looks under the railing. Suddenly her face lights up. "Here, hand me my tweezers from the other room," she orders. 

I go back into the bathroom and grab her tweezers before handing them to her. "What is it? What did you find?" I look over her shoulder as she grabs the evidence. 

"Hair," she says, turning to show me a short black hair strand. "It isn't mine, that is for sure." 

"Donna's?" I have to ask, making sure that this isn't just another staff's hair. 

"Can't be," Raven stands up and places the hair in a plastic baggie I did not know she was carrying. "Donna's hair is thin and dark brown. This hair is definitely black. And by the looks of it, the person has naturally straight hair." 

"A woman I presume," I say as I take the bag from her and observe it. "

"Yes," she nods. "I didn't get a good look that night, so the person in black could have very well been a woman." 

"Very true. And thanks to new technology, we can send in this hair and see if we get a DNA match." I explain as I walk to my desk, grabbing an envelope. "I can have the results to us in a matter of weeks."

"A matter of weeks!?" Raven storms over and grabs the hair bag from me. "That is too long. Four days have already passed. Imagine what has already happened to her." 

"You can not think like that," I grab her hand and pull her into a hug. "We have to think the best. Emma will need us, so we have to be strong for her." 

"Yes," she nods against my chest. "You are right." 

"Of course I am," I smirk, trying to lighten the mood. She pushes away from me and shakes her head, rolling her eyes. "Anyways, I am going to my father's office and having this sent out. You should go and get some breakfast. I will be there in a bit." 

"I can go with you," Raven shakes her head, not wanting to be left out. 

"I have to speak to my father about a few other issues that aren't related to Emma. You shouldn't concern yourself with such things. Go eat and when you are finished, we are going to meet with everyone and get a run down." 

"Alright," she sighs, giving in. "But you better be there for breakfast. You need to eat just as much as I do." 

"I would beg to differ," I grabbed her hand, bringing it to my lips to kiss. "You're skin and bones, my love. You were already too thin, and you haven't eaten for a while." 

"You are losing weight too," she reminds me, placing her other hand on my cheek. "Just promise me you will be at breakfast." 

"Alright," I nod. "I give you my word that I will be at breakfast as soon as I have finished things with my father." 

"Good," she sighs, relieved. 

I kiss her head, leaving the room with the evidence bag of hair. The next thing I do is go to my father's office, knocking on the door before entering. "Father?" 

"Damian?" My father looks up from his desk. "What brings you here." 

"Raven found a strand of hair, so we need to send it in for further inspection," I explained before placing the bag in front of him. "We need to put a rush on this." 

"How did she find this when you and your brothers have been looking for three days?" My father sits back and questions me. 

"She is very perceptive," I shrug. "My wife has many talents, and she is very good at what she does. With everything that happened, it just took her a few days to process. She will now be helping me." 

"Alright," my father accepts the answer. "I will have this rushed right away." 

"Another thing, I am unable to handle the responsibilities of being a prince right now. With everything, I must step down and focus on Emma." I explain, knowing that I can't turn my focus away from my daughter. 

"I understand," father nods. "I will have Dick take on your paperwork, and besides the few meetings you are unable to get out of, you shall have your free time to look into Emma's case. And of course, we would be more than happy to help in any way that we can. I want to know where my granddaughter is just as much as you do." 

"Thank you, father," I bow before heading for the door. 

"What are you doing now?" My father asks, making me pause. 

"I have to go have breakfast," I turn with a small smile. "I promised my wife." 

"Then go," he nods in understanding. "Wish her my regards." 

"Of course," I nod and walk out of his office. 

A few minutes later and I am sitting beside my wife, enjoying nice eggs and sausage breakfast with my whole family. Raven has already filled them in about the hair, so all that is left is to discuss the next step in our plan. 

"I will take Raven to walk the grounds," I explained. "If she found the hair, who knows what else we are missing." 

"Should we contact Raven's step-brother?" Dick asked, regretting the words as he said them, knowing how annoying Garfield can be.

"The more the merrier," Jason nods. 

"I can send word," Raven nodded as she pushes her empty plate away. "I am sure he would be happy to help in any way that he can." 

"Alright then," Dick nods. "I will also handle the soldier's training from now on to keep it off your plate. We will remain on the strict regiments that you set in place and we will have extra security from now on." 

"Good plan," I nod. 

"Now then, how about we get going?" Raven stands up, ready to get going with our plans. "We have much to do." 

"Of course," I stand and take my wife's hand. "Farewell, family." 

We turn and leave the room, heading straight for the front door, ready to assess all the possible ways that our kidnapper could have escaped with Emma. Raven was quick to search for clues, taking note of everything.