Chapter 2

Raven's POV: 

Damian was taking a lot of blame and putting it on himself, and I never really saw it until he broke down in front of me, begging for me to stay. Saying that he couldn't live without me and couldn't lose me. 

And for the first time in three days, I felt myself returning. For the sake of my husband, I snapped out of my daze and embraced him, holding him as he cried. I was soaked from the bathwater, and freezing from the cool autumn air, but I didn't care. I just held onto my husband as he cried. 

"Damian," I said once he had gone silent. "Damian, look at me." And he did. He leaned back and looked down at me with his red puffy eyes. "Damian, we need to be strong. We have to get our baby back." 

"I know," he nods. "And I promise I will do that." 

"Let's do it together," I take his hand and squeeze it. "Let me help you. Let me look for her too." 

"I don't want to worry you," he shakes his head before taking a step back. "You are so frail as it is. You haven't eaten in days and you haven't slept." 

"The same could be said about you," I took a step towards him, closing in on the space again. "We work better as a team anyways, so we should do this together. Please, don't make me sit around and wait for Emma to return. I need to go out there and find her myself." 

Damian hesitated for a second, and I knew he only wanted to protect me, but he nodded in agreement. "Yeah," he answers after a minute. "We need to work together. We will balance each other out." 

"Good," I nod. 

"But first you need to sleep," Damian cupped my face. "Please don't argue with me." 

"You need to rest too. And to eat," I scold him, shaming him for just thinking about my health and not caring about his own. 

"I will order some food to be brought back to the room. You change and get into bed. I will follow you soon," he said before kissing my forehead and leaving the room. 

I changed into a simple nightgown and climbed into bed, pulling up the covers because I was still cold. Damian came in not too long after that and changed into come-night clothes himself. We stayed silent until the food arrived. 

"I ordered you some waffles," he said as he pulled off the plate topper to reveal our food. "I asked for extra fruit for yours." 

"Thanks," I nod as I take my plate and cut a piece off. "Damian?" 

"Yes?" He stopped cutting and looked at me. 

"What are the chances of Emma still being alive after three days with no ransom note?" I asked, knowing this question has been on my mind since the moment my baby was taken from me. 

"Do you want the truth?" He asked his tone grave and without hope. I took a deep breath and nodded. "In cases like this, the child is most likely dead or has been sold." 

"Oh god," I drop my fork.

"But I don't think this was just another kidnapping," Damian grabbed my hand. "I hate to say it, but this could have been a way for a rival kingdom to get power over us. Your father sought to take the child once he knew you were pregnant. It could have been him. Or even one of our enemies coming to take revenge." 

"Who would want to take revenge?" I shake my head, not understanding. 

"I have pissed off a few people in my time, and I am sure you have too," he cupped my face to look at him. "I am already looking into all possibilities. But my best guess is that your father took her. We knew he had a plan for her, so what is to stop him from sending someone to grab her in the middle of the night?" 

"We need to get her back," I can't help but cry. "You and I both know what that monster is capable of. We can't let our baby girl stay with him." 

"I have scouts on the inside, already searching for any sign of her. When they find her, I will be reported to immediately, and we will devise an attack plan. In the meantime, I am following other leads." Damian assured me. 

"What other leads?" I shake my head in disbelief. 

"Emma could have also been taken by a few of my father's enemies. There is a guy, code-named Joker, that could have done this too." Damian explained as he caressed my cheek. "We will find Emma, and I will kill anyone who gets in our way." 

"But what if it's already too late?" I can't help but cry at just the thought of my baby girl, already dead.

"She isn't," Damian kissed my forehead in assurance. "I know she isn't. Whoever took her had a plan, and her death wouldn't be useful to them." 

"Alright," I nod. 

"Now, we should really stop talking about this. We need to think of something else to distract us." Damian grabbed a book off his side table. "Shall I read to you?" 

"I am really not in the mood," I shake my head, not wanting to hear a story right now. All I wanted was to close my eyes and wake up to my baby in my arms. 

"You should get some rest," Damian grabbed my plate and moved it off the bed. "Sleep, and when you wake up we can go over our plan." 

"You must sleep too," I grab his arm and insisted. "Don't leave me."

"I am not going anywhere," Damian gave a sad smile before laying down beside me. He wrapped his arm around me and I laid my head on his chest. I listened to the rise and fall of his breathing, and that is the only reason I was able to fall asleep that night.