Chapter 1 - The first eye-contact

'And the day bleeds-'

"..ki."

'Into the nightfall-'

"...saki."

'And you are not here to get me through it all

Feeling a light tap above her shoulder, the black-haired girl turned back, to see an emotionless face with brown hair. The boy pointed ahead.

Aoi turned her head front, seeing Sae Chabashira, looking cold as ever, handing a book in one hand and another on her hips. "Stand up Murasaki."

Shit.

Swiftly taking off her earphones she stood up. "What is the boiling point of pentane?"

"36.5°C."

"Why are alkynes least reactive?"

"Alkynes are usually less reactive than alkenes in electrophilic addition reactions because the π electrons are "held" more tightly in carbon triple bonds than in carbon double bonds. It is also more sterically difficult to form a bromonium ion from an alkyne than from an alkene."

The homeroom teacher stared at the girl quietly. "Sit down. Don't wear headphones in class."

"I apologise."

"RINGGG!"

"Rise! Bow!" - the captain chants.

"Goodbye sensei!" - the class shouts.

With the teachers leaving, the whole class gets filled with girls high pitched voices and boys loud annoying shouts, giving an instant headache to her. She shoved her hands under the desk, bringing up the headphones.

As she was about to put one into her ear, Aoi noticed the boy passing her, who was sitting behind.

"Uh- thanks-" - a pair of emotionless eyes locked to hers. "For earlier."

"No, problem." - with that, he left.

Unsociable, huh?

She scrolled down to her playlist, clicking one and turning the volume up, to cover the noise of outside.

Tidying up her desk and bag a bit, she got out of the class, avoiding as much as extra hyped students as she could, to avoid clashing ad starting unwanted conversations.

She got out of the crowded area, walking through a remote corridor.

It has been only a week since she got admitted to the Advanced Nourishing School. She didn't have any willingness to attend but got the chance owing to her excellent academic skills.

But not much as she got stuck into D class, the lowest level in the school.

However, she didn't miss it as she can go to the same school as Hirayashi Satsuki, the one and only son of the Hirayashi family which allowed her to stay when her abusive father was sent to jail and her ailing mother to hospital.

Satsuki was a year older than her, he thought of her as her little sister, but feeling so much care and affection, Aoi felt more than just sibling attachment towards him.

It's not like Hirayashi adopted her, they will not keep her for the rest of her life. She has to leave before 20.

Well, there's a high chance that she will leave at 18.

The grand doors of the music room opened, sending familiar smells. Aoi breathed, feeling relaxed in one of her favourite places on this island.

Aoi closed the door behind her, sliding off her bag on the couch beside the large windows, which allows her to enjoy a refreshing view of the forest-like side, but well-organized, behind the grand school.